potty in the living room?

I just need some encouragement, that I'm doing things right. My son has been PT for a little over a month. He went through a regression phase. he stopped telling us when he had to go and he shrugged off accidents. When playing outside, he was either in underwear or bottomless and when he had an accident, started saying "yaaaay pee pee", something he did while on the potty indoors. Why he was aware and telling us outside and not inside beats me. I started taking his potty chair in the living room for easy access and he's been going in it! It's not an all day thing and he will sit on the toilet w/ a ring and go no problem, and if the potty is in the bathroom he goes no problem. But during the day when he's most active, the potty is in the living room and he seems to be getting over his regression. Since it s working for us, should I continue going with it? I'm so proud he's getting back into the swing of things!

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 11:34 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think so! We brought our son's potty chair into the different rooms with us at first, then slowly transitioned it back to the bathroom. I think the most important thing is to get them used to ALWAYS using it. You can slowly shift it out of the living room later. I mean, we also leave them naked a lot of times while potty training and of course they can't always be like that. Good luck! : )
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 11:36 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Absolutely! If it ain't broken, don't fix it! We are trying to PT our 23 month old, and we keep her potty chair down stairs that way she's not dribbling pee all the way up to the bathroom if she has to go. I've even heard of some mama's keeping a potty chair in all the rooms they spend the most time in! If that's what works for your son, keep it up!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:38 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• thanks ladies! I feel much better now. So many say it's best to teach at the source (the bathroom) so you dont have to retrain them from one room to another. But this seems to be working for my son especially since he regressed! I see a MAJOR improvement!
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 11:41 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• good luck momma!
    san78

Answer by san78 at 11:53 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I think you're doing the right thing. I would do whatever it takes to get them to not go in their pants. We have a little potty we move around the house for my DD who was just trained. I have even taken it outside just in case she gets too involved in playing to take time out to go. I have a little ring that folds up into fourths that I put in my purse to take with us when we go somewhere because she has a hard time sitting on public toilets for fear of falling in.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 12:08 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• we have the same foldable travel ring! I love that thing!
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 1:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Every other day or so, just move it a couple more inches towards the bathroom. But do what you have to... When my son was PT he would have accidents while playing at a friend's house because he was too busy to think about it. Soon enough he'll get the hang of it. Hang in there mama!
    Rachel315

Answer by Rachel315 at 10:18 PM on Jul. 1, 2010