Is this depression or anxiety or what?

Its really hard to explain but just about every other day I get this overwhelming feeling of utter loneliness, like i'm trapped in a box all alone. I can be sitting there next to my DD and SO and feel like physically I am with people, but mentally I am just eternally alone. I freak out over insane things that will problably never happen. Such as, A jet crashing into my house and my DD getting hit by a train, we live nowhere near an airport or train tracks. I have seriously considered building an underground fallout shelter... I don't feel depressed, I just feel REALLY worried and alone... What is wrong with me? I have been to plenty of doctors and they all put me on anti depressants which don't help, I feel the same way when i'm on the meds... Whats your opinion and please be nice

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Health

• I occasionally get anxiety attacks and thats exactly what they do to me. I have to remove myself from the situation and just sit by myself or lay down.
    Have you tried going to counseling? Thats what has helped for me.
    Trotterswife

Answer by Trotterswife at 11:40 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Medication can take the edge off of anxiety, but to really get yourself more comfortable, you have to retrain your thinking process. You're doing what's called "worst case thinking" or "what if thinking" and that stuff can spiral out of control in a hurry.

There's a great book called "The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook". That's a good place to start. But working with a counselor who can do some cognitive behavioral therapy would be wise IMHO. Though I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV. I AM however, someone who has dealt with anxiety for many many years.

Link to book: http://www.amazon.com/Anxiety-Phobia-Workbook-Edmund-Bourne/dp/157224223X
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 11:44 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Talk to your doctor about anxiety. Do you ever get the overwhelming feeling that something is wrong, something's not right, but you don't know what it is? Do you feel like bad things are about to happen and you don't know why? Do you worry about everything? I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder, which gives me the feeling that something is wrong all the time, like something bad is about to happen, even though it mostly doesn't lol. I also had depression along with the anxiety, because of the anxiety. I went to therapy and was put on Klonopin for anxiety. It worked wonders. They taught me how to deal with anxiety and how to talk myself out of it and see how silly the things I was thinking really were, but the medicine helped in the meantime while I was learning to do that. I went off the medicine completely after a year, and have had no problems with the panic attacks or depression again. PM me if you want.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:47 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I have been through the same thing. I have been on medication and went to counseling. The only thing that helps is to keep myself busy! Clean the house, go for a walk, make some crafts.
    elenalee

Answer by elenalee at 4:35 PM on Nov. 17, 2010