What are some things you learned from your first child, that you won't do with the second?

Mine are just 14 months apart. But already I am realizing a ton of things I should have done from the beginning with the first. For instance, eating and drinking at the tables only. Of course they are going to make messes but cleaning carpets could have been avoided. As well as putting them to sleep without rocking or soothing, letting them learn to fall asleep. Those are the 2 biggest things I have learned. The battle of eating only at the table just began...sure it will be a long process for the 22 month old. But really, what else do we have to do all day but repetition until he gets it. What have you learned?

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 11:34 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I skipped the sippy cup with my second. It was a million times easier to just go straight from boob to a straw.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:35 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• When my oldest was 15 months we started potty training, and HE wasn't ready. With the second and third, we are letting them decide what is best.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:37 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Yes!! Mine are 13 months apart and let my first sleep in his swing because it was the only way he'd sleep longer than 2 hours. But now I realize it will be better to deal with it for a while then wait til he outgrows the swing and be back to square 1. And also the food at the table thing. I know kids make messes but i hate them. lol So I waited too long to let Ds1 start practicing using his own silverware. He's 16 months and just now starting. i think it's gonna be a looong process. lol But I think it's normal. You learn from experience and as long as it's nothing that's gonna seriously affect the kids I think it's ok.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 11:39 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I will try out cloth diapering for a longer period. with my first I did it for just a few months, but I had no support or education about them so i gave up once he outgrew what I had. With my second, now that I am more educated, I will cloth diaper longer.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:47 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I started co-sleeping from the get go and didn't even bother with a crib or nursery. I knew I was going to breastfeed at least 3 years instead of a year. I didn't worry about my baby sleeping through the night, I knew that might not happen until 3 years. The only baby stuff I wanted to have was a sling and a car seat. I knew the World Health Ass recommended waiting 3 years before ttc and I got a diaphram right away so I wouldn't have to worry about unexpected pregnancy. My first two were 3.5 years apart.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:47 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I'm not sure when I'll have my second, but when I do, I will absolutely NOT go all out on baby stuff. There are some things I found to be necessitities, but so many items we purchased were basically a waste. I'll go right for a convertable car seat, for example, instead of a travel system that my DD grew out of at 4 months old. We only used her travel system stroller a total of like twenty times - what a waste of money! I'll get a moby wrap and just carry the new baby instead of toting him/her around in a car seat.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 11:50 AM on Jul. 1, 2010