how do you explain to your 6 yr old boy what testicles are and what their purpose is without having to answer a zillion more questions

Windwalker2002

Asked by Windwalker2002 at 11:42 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think that "sex-ed" comes in stages with our kids....Does he know that it takes a mommy and a daddy to have a baby? Does he know that boys and girls have different parts? Introduce him to the ideas slowly.
    I have 3 boys and I dont think they ever asked me what the testicles were for, but maybe I just don't remember. I was always pretty open when my kids asked me questions without giving out too much information. They will only ask you what they want to know and really won't push for more information. I would just tell him that the testicles are where his boy parts are kept that makes his penis work, and leave it at that. He doesn't really care yet :)
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 12:02 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I agree with the previous poster. Be brief with your answer and don't give him any more details than he needs to know at age 6.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:37 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• testicles -- My 6year old hasn't asked exactly what they are yet... I don't think... I think I just answer its your balls, part of your body ... at six I would maybe add that its where your sperm and the hormones that make you a boy "come" from. Its part of being a boy and will change as you get older.
    I've found that if I give a really long .. simple... winding answer... unless he's REALLY curious and not just asking he just says okay and moves on since he wants mom to hush already LOL
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 5:14 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Get the book, It's Not the Stork I highly recommend it.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 12:56 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• My boy is almost 10 and he's never asked me that question. He just knows that they are part of his "boy parts" plus he's at an age that it is not fun to discuss with mom.
    Nindy

Answer by Nindy at 9:50 AM on Jul. 6, 2010