Could I paint over my dinner plates?

I would LOVE to paint my dinner plates a color and design I actually like. Is there a product out there I could use that would be non-toxic/dishwasher safe/microwave safe etc?

nkkk07

Asked by nkkk07 at 11:43 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I would not recommend it. I don't think there is a product you can use to do that.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 11:44 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Go to your local arts/pottery store. There might be something you could use. I know people make pottery all the time that they use in their daily lives. I know there are paints out there that are safe.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• the paints that are food safe, as far as I know need to be baked in a kiln to set them.
    I have seen clear glass plates painted on the backside, so that it shows through, but you aren't actually eating off the painted surface
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:34 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I know there is a special paint that you can use to do this- we did it in art class when I was in school- plus there is a coating that you put over top of the paint. I think your best bet would be to try the craft store.
    Nindy

Answer by Nindy at 9:48 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• No, don't do that. If you want to do something like that, go to one of the ceramic painting shops. You can pick out plates etc., paint them and they will fire them. If you want them non-toxic, etc. you need to do it the right way.
    joysings

Answer by joysings at 11:59 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I'd check with a reputable craft store, and as the others said, it may need to be baked after you paint.
    suebax12

Answer by suebax12 at 9:28 AM on Sep. 8, 2010