• In the Spotlight:

Is it safe for someone I hardly know to start waving and following my children

Yesterday it was a sunny day and me and my daughter decided to go for a walk. While we were walking I heard a guy humming, so I looked behind us it was a a man that lived two doors down from us although we hardly know him. We were half way to the park and the man was still behind us. When we finally got to the park I let my daughter play on the slide when all of a sudden the man started walking towards her smiling and also waving. I was so frightened that I yelled at the man to get away from my daughter. My daughter cried the whole way back. This man has followed us before but he never did something like this!

mommyofamanda8

Asked by mommyofamanda8 at 11:43 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• Oh my.. I would find that very disturbing!! If you had a bad feeling..then there is probably something wrong.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:50 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Why would a grown man be following you, that is the question I would be asking. I would first of all, check to see if he was on the sexual offender's list. (But, this is just me). Then I would watch him to see what he actually does in the neighborhood. But, mostly, I would make sure my kids are with me 24/7. Never allow them to be alone, especially outside. People are too weird these days!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:52 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Sounds like a creeeeper. Did he have any kids at the park???
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My first thought is that maybe he is mentally challenged. He's fairly able to function on his own and possibly live alone, but still not at the level of a normal adult. If he is a sex offender, it seems weird that he would go after your daughter with you right there. Which is why that isn't my first thought.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:56 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• That's creepy. I'd keep an eye out for that guy, and if he persists, I might even tell the police just to forewarn them, should anything happen. Don't let your daughter out of your sight! He may just be a nice, friendly guy, but I don't know. Was he older?
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:14 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Definately a HUGE red flag. Look up to see who the local registered sex offenders are. If this man follows you again, then you need to report him to the police and let them know this is a repeat offense. DO NOT let this go unnoticed. That sounds like a possibly very dangerous situation.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:18 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Definitely something wrong there, and if your instinct was telling you something wasn't right - chances are good that your instinct is right on. It could be mentally challenged as another poster said, seems odd a sexual predator would go right after your daughter knowing you were there, but I suppose anything is possible. I would check the registry, and tell my child she is not allowed to talk to the man unless mommy is there. I'd keep an eye on the guy too.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:14 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• We talked to the police they said they'll come around our area more often and talk to the man we'll get the info tommorrow.
    mommyofamanda8

Comment by mommyofamanda8 (original poster) at 3:17 PM on Jul. 1, 2010