Anyone else think NY taxes are getting rediculous?

Today they are hiking up to $4.35 in TAXES per pack. Including taxing reservation cigarettes. I can't say I'm not glad that I just quit smoking (due to pregnancy). But seriously, this is ridiculous. Not to mention the other BS taxes we are charged all the time. I seriously hope some people realize they keep hiring the same idiots for office and STOP!

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 11:44 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I live in NY, and we are already TAXED to death. New fees for this that and the other thing. If he tries to collect taxes from the sale of cigarettes on the indian reservations, he will have problems. And knowing the blind boob, he will have the state police parked to ticket the patrons who buy untaxed smokes......

Now if my insurance company would hurry up and authorize my script for chantrix, life will be good.
    PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 6:18 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• So, it's OK to tax something that YOU don't like, instead of being fair and above-board with the taxation? I feel that if they want to tax tobacco so much, they should AT THE SAME TIME tax alcohol and fast-food and candy and junk food AT THE SAME RATE! Raising the taxes on one sub-section of the economy (and tobacco is a huge part of our economy) does NOT entice too many people to stop smoking.

And what if it did? They have planned a use for that tax revenue. If say 75% of smokers stopped at the start of a new tax increase, how will they then fund the programs they planned to fund with that tax revenue? They CLAIM that it is for the good of smokers, but it really isn't. The most it might do is prevent a few from starting, but that is it.

Smoking is a choice. I have no problem with a small, extra tax on it. But it should be in line with the OTHER "sinful" choices we can make, such as drinking, fast food, etc.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:09 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• That's just it ya'll... no one's quitting. What Patterson is not understanding is that no one cares how much the taxes are on smokes. They'll still pay it.

As far as taxing smokes on the rez, Albany seriously violated several federal treaties when they imposed that tax. Reservations are not part of the state they are almost their own seperate states unto themselves, federal treaties made it that way. I was up here in the 90's when the Senecas blocked 86 with burning tires, but I was just down there today and tensions are very high right now because of this. I'd be surprised if they didn't start imposing tolls or something on the parts of the highway that crosses into their land.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 2:33 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• like I said delilah, you can dish it out and can't take it. You just proved my point.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:28 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Well other than the cig tax I hate it. The cig tax I like because more people will quit!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 11:52 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• 29again is right. They raise the tax on cigarettes just high enough that most smokers will continue to smoke. If they raised it too high, too many would quit and they would lose revenue. If it was really about getting people to stop smoking, they would ban cigarettes altogether or raise the cost to $15 a pack.

Cigarette taxes, alcohol taxes, and all the sin taxes are all about revenue, not about health or concern for Americans.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:18 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Thank you wenona. I get bashed all the time on here because I do not follow. I have been called a druggie because I quoted John Lennon. OH yeah and because I used him as an example I worship him LOL. I did not know that!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 1:27 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• That should say I wasn't up here in the 90's... you'd think when they upgraded this section they would've included an edit button!
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 2:34 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• It is sad when you can go to McDonalds and buy enough food for 5 people for under 20 bucks but you go to the store and get the healthy version and it's over 30 bucks for 5 people.
    ------
    What is sad is that you can't figure out that it is very possible to go to the store and buy the healthy version CHEAPER than McDonald's! Not trying to bash, or bully, or anything, but seriously, this discussions was on here a few weeks ago, and it is very possible to cook the same, healthier version of McD's at home with food from the store for less money. No way would it cost $30 to make burgers and fries for 5 people!

I don't care if they tax cigs or deodorant! My point was that taxing it won't do anything, and they will be in more trouble if it DID make a lot of people quit, because they NEED that money! It would make a whole lot more sense to just institute a small tax on everything!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 5:36 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• jewjew, really can't you keep your fingers off the keyboard? Is it too hard for you?

You sure like to dish it out for someone who can't take it. But I guess you don;t like a bit of intelligence injected between your drivel now and then.

And the tax only hurts middle and lower class families.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2010