How to cover horrible odors?

We have two basements to our house. One is completely redone into a master suite, the other is just a basement under the bathroom that houses the water tanks. Well in the other basement that houses the water tanks there is a horrible odor coming up from the vents. The rest of the house is fine, but I can't seem to find the source of the smell from the other basement. Since I can't find the source, I'd love to be able to mask it at least. Tried candles and sprays (like frebreeze), no luck unless it's a constant stream of both (don't have time to do that 24/7, lol). Any ideas?

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 11:52 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Maybe one of those air freshner sprayers that you can set for like 9 or 15 minutes. It will automatically spray for you.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:54 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• you know those car air freshners that clip onto the vents? I would try getting a couple of those and clipping them to the vents where the odor is coming up from for a temporary fix.
    You should call someone to come out and look for mold in your basement.....that stuff is dangerous....that's what it sounds like to me at least. Make sure you don't have any leaks down there!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Maybe it's just moisture, have you tried a dehumidifier? Or try pouring bleach on the floor and in the floor drain.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:55 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I agree with CAgirl, you need to get it checked out for you and your families health:)

charcoal absorbs odors, as does baking soda. I buy these odor absrobing containers for my closet where the cat box is. You can find them at wal-mart in the pet section.. or the charcoal ones at wal mart in the hangers and closet things section. You can also buy them at Lowe's and the dollar store (family dollar and dollar general, that i know of)

anyway, those may be better options that those fragrent sprays

Jess
    Jessand2boys

Answer by Jessand2boys at 12:00 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Try to find an odor and moisture absorber (or maybe several). I've seen these in canisters and in cardboard cartons. Once you open them they soak up odors and moisture. I think I bought one at Target to put in my twins' nursery.

I'm also all for the use of bleach or vinegar.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:03 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• There are these things that you can buy at WalMart called DampRid I believe. They are black buckets with white lids. I used them in our basement the couple of times we had a little bit of flooding. They work like a charm, they have this white stuff in them that absorbs moisture and odor.

I also agree that you should really have your house checked for mold at least in that room.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 12:06 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• "You should call someone to come out and look for mold in your basement.....that stuff is dangerous....that's what it sounds like to me at least. Make sure you don't have any leaks down there! "

My father did, (he's got the equipment for it, and already check it out, no mold).
    xxhazeldovexx

Comment by xxhazeldovexx (original poster) at 6:49 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• "Maybe it's just moisture, have you tried a dehumidifier? Or try pouring bleach on the floor and in the floor drain. "

We actually have a dehumidifier system for both basements because the one basement is refurnished, so we didn't want mold or issues like that contaminating the other basement.
    xxhazeldovexx

Comment by xxhazeldovexx (original poster) at 6:50 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• my biggest fear is that something got into the walls or something and died.. I can't find anything, but if it's in the walls.... well you know how that goes, it could take forever to find it.
    xxhazeldovexx

Comment by xxhazeldovexx (original poster) at 6:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2010