How can I tell if my 9 week old baby has a UTI?

This morning when I changed my son's diaper - I noticed that there is one small spot that is much darker yellow/orange than the rest of his wet diaper. It doesn't really look like blood, but I am concerned it may be a urinary tract infection or something similar. Anyone have any experience with this? (Going to the pediatrician this afternoon, but wanted to get some opinions of possibilities anyway)

TLALONDE16

Asked by TLALONDE16 at 12:03 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The ped can do a test and prescribe meds if he does have a UTI. Other than that, you can't really tell with a baby that age because they can't communicate all of the symptoms.

KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 12:07 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• If he's not urinating regularly. If he appears to be having abdominal or pelvic pain. If he's not passing his bowels properly then he most likely does. Babies often pass some blood in the first few weeks as their bodies are adjusting.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:07 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I've heard that they should be having normally wet diapers with clearer fluid that doesn't smell. If it's darker and not a lot and/or smells, you should really take him into the doctor. Make sure your pushing the formula/breastmilk or other fluids!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 12:08 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I'm not sure to be honest, good luck at the Pediatricians and hopefully it isn't a UTI.

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 12:12 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Was he circ'd? It could have been an area that was not quite healed yet. That seems unlikely at 9 weeks but I guess it's possible.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:17 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• idk, I only have a girl. but here is a bump
    JacyB

Answer by JacyB at 12:18 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My son had a UTI at 6 months. I did not notice anything different about his pee. The only symptom was a high fever, with no other symptoms. I took him to the ER and they tested his urine. They spike a high fever pretty quickly with a UTI. If your LO does not have a fever, he is probably fine!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:07 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• A UTI is very rare that young, unless there is a structural problem in the bladder/ kidneys called Kidney reflux. (DD has this- was hospitalized last summer for a UTI that made her septic) She had no symptoms except a high fever that did not go away for 5-6 days. She was at the doctor twice, and then after a blood test we knew something was wrong. Without a fever, he is probably just fine!
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 7:23 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Ok you probably have been to the drs by now. What did they say?

allmyblessings

Answer by allmyblessings at 12:15 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Fever is usually the symptom and the test is pretty easy. They place a bag on him in his diaper and he pees and then they test it. So nothing scary for the baby.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 12:30 AM on Jul. 2, 2010