Immigration Reform : What are your thoughts?

MTM

Asked by MTM at 12:10 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think we need to put the illegal immigrants back in their country and tell them they are more than welcome to come back over when they can do it legally. I understand that they want to get out of their country, that's fine! But do it legally! We all have to do things within the law here so they should have to also!
    My3LittleGirls

Answer by My3LittleGirls at 12:13 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I dont care if immigrants are here as long as there are here legally. I dont think its fair to us or other immigrants that have gone through the legal process to get here.
    kassee

Answer by kassee at 12:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I live in Tucson, AZ ground zero for the conflict over SB 1070. I wish AZ wouldn't have passed the stupid bill. Law enforcement officials could ask people for their papers before. We did not need a bill to compell law enforcement officials to do so. We didn't need all this negative government attention.

There are 12 million unauthorized immigrants from Mexico in the US. We can't afford to send them all back. It would cost billions (I forget how many). The average immigrant is held in custody 30 days before being sent back to Mexico. Studies have shown that they don't use more resources (food stamps, Medicaid, school, ect) than they contribute.

We need to reform our reform. We need to offer amnisty to the Mexicans that are already here. We need to make legal ways for Mexicans to immigrate.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:18 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I'm with Kassee, I have NO PROBLEM with people from other countries coming here, at ALL. My problem is when people are here illegally, BREAKING LAWS and we just let them go. That is a bunch of BS.

And I just want to point out, I'm not racist, at all, and where I live, white people are literally the minority now (as of the 2010 census).
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 12:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I think if you are going to restrict the borders it should be equal... many terrorists came in from Canada, and not based in race or racial profiling. I think that if you are going to reform to keep Mexicans out, you should also look at the process to legally immigrate and see where that is almost impossible for many immigrants, and reform it as well. I think everyone who gets really worked up about it in the context of feeling like immigrants are hurting them personally, because they have to work two jobs and pay taxes, etc should take a step back and realize that focusing on the poor and lowly is a distraction. The lowly poor are not the reason for the state of the economy or or the working wage- it's the people at the top that we need to look to. The people that shape the rules, laws, and wages. Politicians and corporations.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 12:21 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• It takes an ave of 10 years for a Mexican to immigrate if they already have a family member in the US. If they don't have family there is pretty much no hope, there is no time given. People are under the mistaken impression that it is easy to immigrate. If they could immigrate legally, that is what they would be doing! Waiting 10 years while your family is starving or you can't get medical care or you are under some kind of other impossible situation is a LONG time.

I have a life threatening medical condition and couldn't get the treatment I needed in IN. I had to leave everything behind and move to AZ with 2 suitcases to get the treatment I needed to survive. I was homeless for about a year. I was lucky I was going from IN to AZ and not Mexico to AZ. I can understand why someone would have to leave everything and how hard it is.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:25 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Immigrants are fine. Illegals are not. I'm to the point I think they need to start grabbing them wherever they see them. Schools, Hospitals, city corners, businesses, anywhere. Obama says our borders are safer than ever now. Okay, dream on, lie number 3043. It's not so, it's not even close. I think America will not be kind to him in his trek to give citizenship to millions of illegals. Many states are just waiting to see what happens to this new Arizona law before enacting one of their own.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:47 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I agree with Bella and Gaill. Nobody really understands what it really takes. Oh yeah and how much money it would take to detain them then send them back. DO you want to pay a cop or maeshell or whatever more to walk them across or will you put them in a car and pay for the gas and whatnot or a plane and pay for that? It would cost a lot more to send them ALL(any race NOT just Mexicans) than for them to be here. THINK ABOUT SOMEONE ELSE INSTEAD OF YOURSELF FOR ONCE! Oh and whoever said it was unfair well one is how fair is it that you are telling people to go back and pretty much die? and two was it fair to the native that their land was taken. It was not over run with people. It was not bought etc etc. This land was stolen so you should remember that before spewing HATE!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 1:45 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Start grabbing them??? Seriously, you said that??? Oh yeah I forgot, you obviously have no compassion for human beings do you?
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 2:08 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• People are under the mistaken impression that it is easy to immigrate

I don't think anyone is under that impression. The real point is an individual from one country is no more ENTITLED to be here than one from another, and it's not fair that people from some countries do wait all that time and do everything correctly, while others just walk on in, steal an identity and start taking.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:18 PM on Jul. 1, 2010