should i take him?

I've been potty training my 19 month old son for 2 weeks now. He has pretty much got the concept down very well. Should I continue to take him every 30 minutes or so, or let him tell me. He does tell me when he has to go, but sometimes he goes a little bit in his underwear before he realizes it. If I take him myself he rarely has any accidents. Of course in the long run I want him to tell me, but is it too soon to put that on him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• IMHO the only one trained right now is you, to take him every 30 minutes.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:20 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Personally I would just go rather than 30 minutes, go 45 minutes and see if he tells you. I have never made my kids potty train until they told me they were ready. But if he has it down then that is great. But try giving longer intervals between going to the potty and see what happens. Maybe he will go by himself or tell you. My youngest daughter just decided one day that she was going to go to the potty by herself and started going by herself without telling me at all until it was time to wipe.
    My3LittleGirls

Answer by My3LittleGirls at 12:21 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• i trained my son around the same age and evetually he will figure it out and tell you on his own, I would take him every 30 min for at least little while longer, then maybe stretch ot out to an hour and eventually he will catch on. I don't think 2 weeks is long enough to get into the habit yet.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 12:25 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• When I trained my son, it took 4 days. I took him every 30 minutes, then, when he had the hang of that and it became routine, I upped it to 45 minutes. Again, when that became routine, I upped it to 50. And so on until he started to tell me or go on his own.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:36 PM on Jul. 1, 2010