I am screwed up! What should I do?

I just graduated in May with my Bachelors in Accounting. I will be 26 on July 17th. It took me 8 years to finish college! I spent my first three years at a community college. I originally majored in premed because my parents wanted me to be a doctor. I really hated premed courses. I left community college with a 2.2 GPA. When I was 21 years old, I transferred to a state college in New York. where I changed my major to accounting. I got all A's there and I just graduated with a 3.93 GPA. My old bad grades didn't transfer over.
Right now, I am really screwed up. I currently have 120K in student loans to pay off. I didn't work anywhere while I was in college because I wanted to get straight A's. Now, I am very disappointed that I haven't done a finance internship. I want to get a job at a bank, but I have zero experience. I need to get a full time job immediately. How can I ever pay back my huge student loans?

jennguzman

Asked by jennguzman at 12:34 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• Wow..you got to start somewhere...
    sillyme85

Answer by sillyme85 at 12:37 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Have you tried talking to a financial advisor? They may be able to point you in the right direction.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:43 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Honestly, I have a fabulous suggestion for you I am going to message you.
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 1:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• .

This is a sparce time for job seekers for sure. Looks as though you will need to search everywhere, out-of-state, retail, government , social services, industry. Leave no stone unturned. Be willing to compomise to get your foot in the door. Most important, don't lose faith in yourself.
    Ernistine

Answer by Ernistine at 1:05 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Have you tried doing an internship? I know of a company where you telecommute and they look for recent graduates such as yourself.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 2:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I would say try to set up your own internship. Be persistent as well. List things that you have done for projects or volunteering that may be applied to your job. For instance when I am asked my weakness I always say experience but I turn it into a positive by saying that I am a clean slate and they can train me the way they want without bad habits formed from previous employers. Also that you don't have all the answers but that you are able to find the right answers.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 4:34 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Hi,
    Congrats on your degree. Your grade point will be enormously helpful in getting a job.
    My advice would be to first worry about getting a job to get experience in accounting or finance even though it may not be at a bank. Once you have a job that you feel is a good one for you, if they have a good tuition reimbursement program, you could get a degree in finance, if that's what you really want (if you go back to school, you can defer your loan a bit but don't take on any more debt to go back to school.). If not, get a few years experience and then look for a job at a bank.

In the meantime look for ways to cut your expenses to begin paying off your loan; e.g. live at home for a bit? Also, see if you can extend the length of the loan so your payments are smaller and then when you can afford it, make bigger payments.

Good luck,
    Pat
    Amigram.com Life’s Happy Announcements
    Amigram

Answer by Amigram at 4:57 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• On top of all this advice I want to just say...always remain confident! always look straight ahead and say to yourself and others "I can do that" and always remember what you don't know now you can learn! Good luck in everything you do!
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 11:04 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Start with the career center at your university.

The CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group has tons of great job hunting tips and resources.

Contact me if you have any questions about resumes, structuring a job search, etc.

Good luck!

Answer by rkoloms at 11:11 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• The GOOD news for you is that Accounting is one of the top in-demand jobs this year. Just two months ago I heard an NPR interview saying that accounting grads would be snapped up quickly.

How do you find a job? Start looking! www.indeed.com is a great job site.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:12 AM on Jul. 6, 2010