Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

What do I do?!

so my husband and I are going to get divorced. My husband says that the divorce is fine but he wants custody of our son because I will have to move back to Maine to be with my family because I have no one down here to turn to. My husband does not want me to take our 1 year old with me and he says that I would be able to have him only on summers and like school vacation times. That's not right. I am the one who has taken care of my kids every single day and I am the one they are emotionally attachted to!!

He says he is getting money from his boss to pay for HIS lawyer and that I am on my own to get one for myself! I am a stay at home mom and i've just been cut off financially. (we still live together becase I have no where to go and we haven't started the divorce yet, he said tuesday it'll probably get started ) Does anyone know of a non profit custody lawyer in Nashville, TN area? Or maybe even just some advice! Please help

Answer Question

Asked by RedneckMom0709 at 12:35 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in About CafeMom

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • I am so sorry you are going through this.... I don't know any but I would suggest going to your local DSHS office and talk to them. I will say a prayer for you! GL momma, stay strong!

    Answer by June_Mama09 at 12:38 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

  •  This site will let you know if you have legal aid in your area.


    Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 12:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

  •  this one should do it, sorry


    Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 12:40 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

  • I don't know why it is not working write, sorry. Just put the address in the URL area.

    Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 12:40 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

  • I just want to say I am so sorry for what you're going through. I would never allow someone to take my child from me, he needs to realize what that would do to your kid if he were to do such a thing. Its not just about being spiteful to you. GL to you and I hope everything works out for the best.

    Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 12:41 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

  • You definitely need to get your hands on a lawyer - hopefully you can find one through legal aid. I was just talking to my mom who is a paralegal last night about my situation and possible divorce. I run the risk of my husband fighting me to take the kids because of my bi-polar and abandonment last year, and I'm petrified to leave because of that. Financially however I make more than him, which is another risk to me of having to pay alimony, splitting my 401K etc in my state. It could be a matter of your husband not wanting to pay so much out of pocket too, depending on your state you're entitled to not only child support but alimony, 1/2 of his retirement etc as far as the kids go the court decides whats in the best interest for the child and will decide on the visitation as well... Definitely talk to a lawyer.

    Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

  • Most attorneys will give you your first consultation for free. You can call around and see. Good luck to you!

    Answer by firenicecream at 2:04 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.