How can I prevent red bumps in my armpits?

Ever since I've started shaving, I've always had issues with getting red bumps in my armpits. I know my skin there is extremely sensitive. I use a 3-blade razor. I've tried everything I can think of to prevent them and nothing has worked. It's really embarrassing and makes me feel like I can't wear a tank top out in public. Does anyone else have this problem? Or any suggestions?

poptart0325

Asked by poptart0325 at 12:36 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I have this problem. I hate it!! My dad would break out in his axillary area really bad too, and he didn't even shave! His issue was with deodorants. I notice that I break out a lot less in that area if I use clear gel deodorants as opposed to a solid.

Some tips i've collected just recently include: Soaking the area for about 5 minutes in warm water (so either in the bath, or let shower water run on them), make sure to shave WITH the "grain". Shaving against the natural hair growth pattern seems to cause more bumps and irritation. And to apply some type of aloe afterward. HTH!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:46 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Have your tried a electric shaver? What about using soap or shaving cream? What about using baby oil?
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 12:37 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Maybe try a sharper razor or shaving cream on your pits? I never use cream when I shave my armpits, but if you have really sensitive skin, it might help.

mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 12:38 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Ive always had that problem too, and ive always used the gel deoderant. Last time I bought Dove, cucumber kind, its solid, and they went away ever since I started using it. Try it, it may just be me, or it could work. I was really surprised!
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 12:43 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I don't get red bumps in my armpits. What kind of deoderant do you use?
    Mena929

Answer by Mena929 at 12:38 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• use condtioner as shaveing cream, it also may be your deoderant, what kind do u use?
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 12:41 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• oil will cause more irritation bc u sweat and it will clog your pores
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 12:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I use shaving cream. I've tried using just plain soap before, but it made the bumps worse. I've never tried an electric razor before. I use Arm & Hammer deodorant. It doesn't have a scent and it's the only deodorant I've found that works for me.. but all of this was occurring before I started using that deodorant.
    poptart0325

Comment by poptart0325 (original poster) at 12:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Just use bar or gel soap instead of a cream? What I am wondering is if you shave at night, if you could put a light layer of neosporin where you tend to get the red bumps. Then wash it off in the morning before you apply deodorant.

Answer by Bmat at 12:47 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Thanks for all of the tips ladies! I will definitely have to try them all out and hopefully one of them will work!
    poptart0325

Comment by poptart0325 (original poster) at 1:07 PM on Jul. 1, 2010