Any tips on potty training a 22 month-old?

My DD will be 2 in August. Ever since she was 17 months old, she has shown interest in the potty. We started off putting her on the potty every hour for 10 minutes. Everything seemed to be going great until she pooped in it and then she wouldn't go near the potty for about a month. So we went on a little break from it for about two months. Then when we tried it again, someone recommended to us that she potty trained her daughter by putting her on the potty every 30 minutes for 5-10 minutes. Well, we tried that and she peed in the potty maybe two or three times... then she starts losing interest. She would kick and scream whenever we tried to put her on the potty. So we've gone on another break. She will be 2 in August and we are planning to start TTC baby number two in March 2011. We'd like her to be out of diapers by then. So any suggestions? Am I going about this the wrong way?

poptart0325

Asked by poptart0325 at 12:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried rewarding her when she does potty?......I gave my daughter a small piece of candy (like one smartee) when she was first being potty trained and so she kept wanting to go potty so she could get the candy......now after she was good and potty trained i had to wing her off the candy lol so idk if you should use that....maybe try stickers or gummy fruit snacks or something else....the candy worked for me in the end but i know it probably wasnt the healthiest decision..... Also, stay consistant with things.....my daughter was getting confused because I'd put her in panties at home but when I went out in public I'd put her in diapers for the fear of her peeing on the floor. well she'd get confused and end up peeing in her panties at home...... every kid's different so you'll just have to find what works for yours.....good luck!
    mommylores

Answer by mommylores at 5:30 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• How about making the potty chair a tv chair? I had a potty seat in the front room and she would sit on it and watch tv for a little bit...that way it didn't seem like it was a big deal that you only sit on it to pee/poop.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:48 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Someone had suggested that to me before, but my husband was not very big on doing it. He was afraid she would get confused that you're supposed to pee/poop in the bathroom and not in the living room. But I can see how it would work. I think the main reason why she hates sitting on the potty is because she HATES being still for longer than two seconds. Maybe if I start in the living room with the potty chair and slowly move it back into the bathroom? That might work. Thanks!
    poptart0325

Comment by poptart0325 (original poster) at 1:05 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I would just keep up with wht your doing in hopes tht she goes and when she goes do the happy dance! I would take my little one in every 20 minutes sit for a bit and say now go P/Poo and if she did then we did the happy dance if nothing I would go back in and do it all over again. Once I started I didn't stop. Diapers were out and undies were in...
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 6:33 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• go all in with the undies for sure. i started my son and we used underwear, diapers, and pull ups and he was just confused. the other day i said im just gonna deal with the mess and put him in underwear all day at home and hes done so good since then. sure there are accidents, but its worth it. i do use pull ups when we are out though, but make sure to still take him to the potty all the time so he wont go in them and think its okay. hopefully we can get him off pull ups soon too. i also used candy as a reward, we use m&ms, and hes actually getting tired of them but still goes potty. he used to ask for them each time now just washes his hands and is off. remind her every 30 minutes though for sure. have you tried a potty seat on the big potty. we tried everything at first and that is what works for us. good luck, its a tough time for sure :)
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 7:00 PM on Jul. 1, 2010