I am screwed up! What should I do?

I just graduated in May with my Bachelors in Accounting. I will be 26 on July 17th. It took me 8 years to finish college! I spent my first three years at a community college. I originally majored in premed because my parents wanted me to be a doctor. I really hated premed courses. I left community college with a 2.2 GPA. When I was 21 years old, I transferred to a state college in New York. where I changed my major to accounting. I got all A's there and I just graduated with a 3.93 GPA. My old bad grades didn't transfer over.
Right now, I am really screwed up. I currently have 120K in student loans to pay off. I didn't work anywhere while I was in college because I wanted to get straight A's. Now, I am very disappointed that I haven't done a finance internship. I want to get a job at a bank, but I have zero experience. I need to get a full time job immediately. How can I ever pay back my huge student loans?

jennguzman

Asked by jennguzman at 12:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in

• Apply at all of the banks and accounting firms in your area? If you have trouble finding a position, then take whatever you can find just to get your foot in the door.

Answer by Bmat at 12:45 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• IDK, I'm almost in the same boat - 6 years ago I attended ITT Tech for Web Development for a whole 2 quarters and dropped out. Now I've got creditors calling all hours of the day trying to get back the $3000 I owe - I'm a SAHM and DH's income covers our bills and things like diapers/laundry soap/wipes etc. I tell them, hey, you'll get it back when I get the cash... kwim?
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 12:45 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• like a lot of people, you may be paying them off for almost your whole life. You can set up all kinds of payment arrangements. Well, it guess that depends on where you got your loans from.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:46 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Talk to your professors. Ask for letters of reccomendation and leads on jobs. Join trade associations that specialize in what you want to do. Get out there and network.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 12:48 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Apply everywhere - Network Network Network. Talk to anyone and everyone from your hair stylist to your, well, your bank teller. Take a temporary position - it can lead to bigger and better things. Everyone knows someone - you could be one step away from the perfect position at any given time. Don't give up! Good Luck.

mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 1:25 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I would suggest taking a job at a store or something where you can get some cash handling experience. Then in 4 or 5 months try for a job at a bank.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 3:07 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My brother took 20 years to finish his degree (long story), but he managed to get a junior accountant position with BNY Mellon. He worked hard and within a year he has already gotten a nice raise and a promotion. You haven't screwed up and you will find a job, honest! Many banks, especially around here, are always looking for tellers. It would be a start & get you some cash handling experience, plus you'd be on the inside track to move into an accountant's position as soon as one opened up.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:08 PM on Jul. 3, 2010