Is it a bad thing for a sahm/housewife be home allday with no income coming in?

I know being a sahm/wife is a job in it's self. I did marry a man with 2 kids from a previous marriage but 12 yrs. later they are teenagers. now we have our kids of our own they are in elementary I love being here at home being here for the kids and my dh when they come home...Is it so wrong? Why does it feel like it bothers other people that have a job. Atleast that is what vibe I pick up from some woman...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• If you can do it on your budget, then there's not a problem but there are so many on here that complain about not having enough money and their kids are in school part of the day while they are a SAHM.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:56 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• You just have to learn not to worry about what others think. Some women think EVERY parent should work no matter what, and some women think EVERY mother should be home with her kids. A difference in opinion is okay, but you and only you know what works best for your family. For us, we were paying more for daycare than I was making so it was most cost effective for me to be a SAHM. Our older two kids are in elementary school (out for summer), but we do have a 23 month old, and we're expecting. My children LOVE the fact that i'm able to drop and pick them up from school and be with them for the rest of the day. They HATED going to an after school program. So for our family dynamic, it works. If it works for yours too, don't worry about what others think because they are not the ones in your home, raising your kids.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:58 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I stay at home with the children. My husband and I discussed it and we didn't want our children going to daycare. Our agreement is that once all of the children are in school, I want to go out and get a job.. Lol. That is just my personal choice. We aren't hurting for money, so me staying at home is perfect for us!
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:59 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• No, I don't consider it a bad thing at all. As long as it works for you,your husband and your family..thats what counts and thats what matters.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I don't think it's a bad thing at all. My mom is a SAHW and they're retirement age now. It's more than just raising kids, it's about making a HOME for your husband and children, providing a restful place for them to live and grow physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. It doesn't stop when the kids leave home, either. If you can do that without working outside the home, great. If a woman needs or wants to work to be able to help meet the needs of the family, great. Neither one should be looked down on. The competition that seems to go on here is sometimes ridiculous and childish.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• there has always been this SAHM/WM battle. I'm a WM...but I've been a SAHM in the past. There is absolutely nothing wrong with staying at home with your kids. There is also absolutely nothing wrong if u decided to work. The choice is yours and yours alone and as long as it feels right or is what is needed then never feel bad about the choice. The others should feel bad about judging you on it.
    Walker101

Answer by Walker101 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• It's not wrong. It is what works for you and your family. That is what is important!
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• That's between you and your husband. My only concern is when there are people out there who truly need to work for the income or benefits and do not just because they feel it's a right. I really wish it were, but unfortunately, times are tough.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:05 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I don't think there's anything wrong with it if it's what you both want and if you can afford it.

The only reason I'll ever go back to work is boredom, if when the kids are in school or out of the house I'm bored then I'll go back, but I think I have enough hobbies that I won't want to.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:06 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• whatever works for you...I'd say if others have an issue with it that they are probably jealous that THEY can't stay home!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:07 PM on Jul. 1, 2010