Anti-rap ad

This Anti-Rape ad from Scotland tackles the myth that women invite rape based on what we choose to wear. Is the ad hit or miss? Does it start to address some of the real concerns around rape and victim-blaming?

(Start the video at the :38 second mark for the ad)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/10435567.stm

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 2:34 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I wonder if any man wearing an expensive suit and watch has ever been told that he was asking to be mugged.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:36 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I think it is an effective ad. The shock value of it should make people see how ridiculous it is to think that a woman wears something to purposely aid in her own rape. The blaming of victims needs to stop. No matter what the circumstance rape is never justified. Drunk, half naked, it does not matter. The rapist makes the decision to violate a person. What a woman is wearing is not an excuse for it.

Having said that, woman need to be aware that rape does happen and to take all precautions to prevent it. Don't go out by yourself if you are going to get drunk, etc.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 2:41 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• That's great! I wish they would show that kind of thing here... Being I was raped, I know first hand how ridiculous all that shit is! It doesn't matter what you wear, drink or say... If you say NO, that's all that matters! It's HIS fault, not hers! Period! I wish people actually had a clue about this stuff!

I actually read a story about a year back where an Italian court found a serial rapist not guilty because all the women stated they were wearing jeans at the time of the attack and the court ruled that you can't force jeans off of a woman without her help, so they all must have agreed to have sex... WTH?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:40 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I think they should show ads like that. There is NO EXCUSE for rape- if we say no-we mean NO. period. end of discussion
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• MamaK88

Comment by MamaK88 (original poster) at 2:34 PM on Jul. 1, 2010