Pop in the mouth? IDK I just never could do that to my kid!

I guess your only supposed to vote down answers to questions that are offensive,,,but I aske a question a while back about my son,,,the advice was to "pop him in the mouth"! Now I have spanked,,,on 2 occasions,, one he ran into traffic and the other he was being out of control and Imean they had to shut the WALMART down because he ran away,, and no one could find him,, spanking happened in the car,, and both have left an impression,,for one reason because it doesn't happen very much (my OP),, do you think it is okay to smack kids,,,for what ever reason? And esp. on the face? Not me,, just wondering if you all had something to share....thanks!

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 2:38 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would never smack one of my children in the face. I remember once when I was a kid, I was being a smart mouthed little shit, and looking back I know I sure deserved a spanking, or my mouth being washed out with soap, but the back hand my mom gave me that left me with a bloodied nose only made me want to piss her off even more. Needless to say, SHE learned her lesson that day. Maybe I was just a sadistic little brat, I dunno, but I always remember that one particular day, where we were, etc, and I vowed to NEVER hit my kids in the face. I'll spank out of true necessity, but only on the hind parts.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 3:48 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• No I dont believe it is ever ok to smack or hit a kid in the face.
    I believe in spanking when it is warranted.
    Trotterswife

Answer by Trotterswife at 2:40 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I just smacked my son in the mouth last night... He spit in my face, he got his mouth smacked... I see nothing wrong with it, I don't even think I hit him hard enough for it to sting, but he got the point... My mom would have bloodied my mouth... There's a difference between a smack or a tap and a punch or a real hit... As long as a parent isn't causing real damage (mental or physical) how they choose to discipline their child is 100% up to them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:44 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I don't think it is ever ok to hit (smack, pop, rap...) a kid in the face or mouth. As for spanking-- some parents do, some don't, I don't.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:45 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• For me it depends. When they're being sooooooo disrespectful. For example, my nephew, 8, went thru a stage awhile ago where he would say "I HATE YOU!!!!" when he would get told no or an adult told him to stop doing something. He got spanked, timeouts, washed his mouth out w/ soap, etc. He quit for a while but said it to my mom again the other day. She took him in the other room & spanked his butt. After he calmed down I explained to him that should he care to say it to me that I would smack him in the mouth. I feel he's old enough now that if he's going to be that disrespectful to me then I'll be that disrespectful to him.

When I was about 14 I called my mom a bitch to her face. I got the smack across the mouth I deserved & NEVER said it again!!!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 2:52 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My mom use to smack me in the mouth all the time when I was a teenager and would talk back or be a smart ass. I can honestly say that I have smacked my older son in the mouth a time or two, but it has been a long time. If I could go back I wouldn't have smacked him, I've learned that talking to him as I would talk to any other adult works best. I think at the time I was just overwhelmed, frustrated and pissed off to the point where I just couldn't think clearly - not to make an excuse - but I would never do that now. So I guess long story short - no I don't believe in smacking my kids (they are 12 & 15) , I go for communication these days and consequences.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I spanked my children when they needed it, but I never smacked them in the face. I did have my mouth washed out with soap a time or two when I was a child for sassing my mother. Not pleasant but it did work. Soap doesn't taste very good at all.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:47 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I think it is blatantly disrespectful to smack a child in the face.
    SoLuvlei

Answer by SoLuvlei at 3:21 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Oh no way!! I haven't ever even spanked my girls & I definitely wouldn't hit them in the face!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:41 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I never smacked my kids in the face. It only teaches that hitting is OK and a way to deal with anger. Not good.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:17 PM on Jul. 1, 2010