How old were your kids before you starting letting them stay home alone? Maybe while you went to the grocery store or something?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• They were 12.

Answer by Bmat at 2:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My son was 9. BUT!!!!!!, He is/was WAY more mature than any other 9 year old I have ever met. In fact, he is weird all the way around, he doesn't even think like a normal kid since birth. Also, I worked with him and studied rules and regulations I felt he should follow. Plus, what to do in certain scenarios. He had a lot of phone number memorized too. Then, I made a huge binder FULL of hints, tips, numbers, names/addresses, rules...everything. Beforehand, we also let him stay alone for tiny amounts of time to practice.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My child is only 1, but I started staying home alone when I was 11ish. Mind you that was 10 years ago and we lived in a very safe town.
    AmazingAmanda

Answer by AmazingAmanda at 2:43 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My children were both allowed to stay home when they were 10, but we live in a very small rural community where we know every one, and the grandparents are less than a mile away. They had our numbers, neighbors numbers, grandparents number and of course 911 if it was necessary.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:45 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My girl is only 5 1/2, but I stayed home alone at 10 (my main gift for my 10th birthday was being able to be by myself for a couple hours, yay!), but we lived on an army base, and it was very safe.
    I'd let Ki stay home alone at 9 or 10 if we lived out of the city, more in the country. I always feel safer out there.
    Here in the city, I think we'll let her at about 11 or so. But, that's 5 or 6 years from now, so a lot can change.
    BradenIsMySon, I loved that answer. You had him so prepared!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:46 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My little brothers were 8, I was 9, my sister was 11 and brother was 13 - that was the first year we stayed home the entire summer by ourselves. If we had problems we had family and neighbors super close, but we never had any issues.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 2:47 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My son was 7..he was home after school for 20 minutes to a half an hour before I got home from work. I worked across the street at a nursing home from where we lived. His school was around the corner.He would walk home with 2 friends that lived at the same apartment complex. He let himself in the house, call me soon as he got in the door. He was home at 3:30 I got home about 4 pm. I was scared to do it at first, for all the obvious reasons, but we got used to it. He's 10 now and sometimes if he doesnt feel like going to the grocery store with me, he stays home alone.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:47 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My son is 9 and I just started leaving him if I am running to the grocery store that is down the street and he doesn't want to go.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 3:33 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I would probably do it now with my older 3 (they are 7, 8 and 10) but we live with my dad who is always home.  I've gotten so used to just coming and going I forget that once we move I'll have to make other arrangements.  My dad is always in his room in case something happens right now.

My oldest just turned 10 but I really don't trust her to stay by herself.  She gets into everything.  My son will be 9 in October and I would trust him for an hour or so if I needed to run out but he always wants to come with me to help carry stuff.  Same with my middle daughter who will be 8 in November.

I was staying home alone when I was 8 and watching my 6yo brother.  But our gramma lived downstairs in case anything happened.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:28 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• 11 and 9
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 2:53 AM on Jul. 2, 2010