Reason for back locking up?

My back has been acting funny since yesterday. I would standing not doing anything and the middle of my back would tense up out of no where. It would take a couple minutes before I could bend or move. This happens on and off and shortly afterward my lower back would "crack".
I have no insurance or money for a chiropractor right now. One of my coworkers is going to do that wrap your arms around you thing when I get off work. He plays hockey and I guess this happens to them a lot, but I cant figure out why this is happening.
Have not done anything physical, no weird sleeping positions, nothing.

I'm wondering if i could of thrown my back out?

Trotterswife

Asked by Trotterswife at 2:46 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Health

• I googled and couldn't find an answer. A suggestion that I saw is that it may not be that the pain is part of the locking, but that the locking happens because the body is reacting to a sharp pain. I don't know if this is so, though. I don't have any suggestions about it other than maybe you should see a doctor to get it diagnosed.

Answer by Bmat at 3:05 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• It could be caused by several different things, if you are under any kind of stress, you could be having muscle spasms which could cause major pain. If you hear a pop your spine might be out of line, I would never let anyone pop my back it just isn't safe. If you can try to take a long hot shower and relieve all of your tension, Alieve/ Sodium Naproxen is an anti inflammatory that you can get over the counter to help with any muscle inflammation, also laying on a big exercise ball and just relaxing your spine could help it naturally slpi back into place. Just make sure if you try the Alieve to make sure you are not taking any medications that can interfere with it.

MiddletonFamily

Answer by MiddletonFamily at 3:05 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• The same thing has happened to me once when I was pregnant and I lifted my 3 year old daughter. I pretty much had to rest for about a day and it hasn't happened since.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Sounds like muscle spasms. Take some advil, and alternate heat and ice. Most back pain will resolve itself in a week or so.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 1:18 AM on Jul. 2, 2010