what is the worst parenting advice anyone gave to you?

a friend told me that she thought my child did not have autism, but was just slow
(this friend has not seen my daughter since she was one yrs old, she is almost three now)
guess all the therapists and the doctor who specializies in autism are wrong

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 2:48 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• When my son was about 7 months old we were in a cafe with him sound asleep in his car seat. He woke up, realized he was in the seat, and started crying about it. I unbuckled him, lifted him out, and gave him a little bounce. He was very quickly settling down, he'd been crying for about 30 seconds, when an old woman came over and told me he was making too much noise and he needed spanked. I replied with "oh really? If I hit you will you shut up too?"

Honestly, who suggests hitting a baby because they're crying?
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 7:29 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My MIL insisted that I was harming the children by not training them before they were two.

Answer by Bmat at 2:49 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• An elderly woman came up to me in the mall while I was breastfeeding ( I was covered by the way) and told me that I should go do that in the bathroom. Then as if that wasn't enough she told me "This is America"...as if I didn't know.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 3:06 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• That breast-fed babies don't need burped. Haha. This was from my mom, who bottle fed all her six kids.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 2:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• By the way I never took the advice and it was the best decision I've EVER made.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 2:52 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Let your son be SEEN, but not heard, he is too loud,, coming from someone who is controlled by EVERYONE,, SHOUT louder Billy and he has a right to SAY (in a nice way) what is on his mind!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:56 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Telling me to bite my sn for biting, LOL....that was the WORST advice ever. I almost took it up once though..out of sheer aggravation, but I didn't. I can't imagine biting one of my children.

kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Lol. I had this girl tell me that I just needed to relax and not be so up tight about being a mom because parenting isn't that hard. I mean of course she knew she worked at a day care part time! She knew everything that there was to know about kids! Then she had a baby and is the most up tight strict mom.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 2:52 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• The worst advice I got from someone was to cut out my daughter's heart meds. They seemed to think that she would be okay without the meds that regulated her heart rate. She told me she would get addicted to taking medicine if we continued giving her a pill every day. She also said we were weakening her heart by having it rely on medication. I went with the cardiologist that had been practicing medicine for longer than this woman had been alive. Happy to say, my kid is doing great, she's not addicted to anything!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:52 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• from a pediatrician, to put my son on depression meds. He had a stomach problem and they thought it was all in his head. I took son to a gasto dr and she diagnosed problem right away
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 2:56 PM on Jul. 1, 2010