Animal abuse neglect update and another question!!!

Okay a little history,, My friend who is 70 has a stepson that is a hoarder,, he hoards mostly cats,,he had over 30-40 that were inbreeding and they all got sick with some kind of bugs, determined to be rabbit lice,, anyhoo he was releasing them in the park, burying some in his back yard,,long story short my friend finally called animal control, they will not do anything, the police will not do anything, and NOW he has told his father he will get rid of the cats,,he lives in the country so no department will help them do this,,any ideas how to get 30 cats some place? Any ideas of who to call? I am a total animal lover, but honestly after seeing the situation most of them probably need to be put down, his parents nor he has the money to do this,, she is sick (and too old) to have to deal with this, I have offered my help so can you give me some? Thanks mamms!

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 2:54 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Pets

• I dont have a clue but wanted to wish you luck.
    lovingmy2from05

Answer by lovingmy2from05 at 3:08 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Take them to the humane society so they can evaluate the health of the animals & humanely put down the ones that need to be.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 2:57 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I don't understand why the police or animal control will not do anything. There are usually ordinance about the number of cats you can have.  Maybe if you call the police or animal control and explain the women is elderly and the man has mental health problems.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:59 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• You can also try to locate some local cat rescues.
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 3:00 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I agree. If he takes a few to the humane society for euthanasia and tells them he has 25 more at home that he can't care for, they will help him out.
    Linds2Horse

Answer by Linds2Horse at 3:00 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Where the heck does he live? It's obvious he is neglecting and possibly neglecting these animals. Did yo ucall the SPCA? They are the ones who come out usually in Houston. I assume the cops won't do anything since he lives out in the country. There is usually a limit on how many animals can be kept otherwise. If you look at petfinders.com you will be able to put in the area where you are and find different shelters. I used the site to find a pet but when you find the places you can email or call them. There are many groups in every state but many are just volunteers so you most likely will not find a place to take every one of them.
    Good Luck.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I don't know how rescues are in your area, but in mine they are MORE than wiling to help with transports. They would probably even take and rehabilitate the cats who aren't in life threatening condition (and even then they might!). I would start there. Local rescues can mean the difference between life and death for some of these animals.

If you get nowhere with them, find someone with a truck and camper shell and load them all in it. Or do half and half.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 6:33 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• How do we transport 30 cats there? I called them already and they were very weird about accepting this many, since he does not live in the jurisdiction of them
    kimigogo

Comment by kimigogo (original poster) at 2:59 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• yes even if they do live in the country the closest aspca, humane society, or animal shelter should be willing to take them in or help make arrangements as long as the cats are brought to their facility. Also just a side note... most hoarders need/require/benefit from some type of counseling /therapy. GL hun! Thanks for being one of the good people in this world!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 3:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Oh gosh does he need therapy,, ,, honestly he has had issues for awhile,,,he has threatened to kill himself if anyone takes the cats away, but his step mom and Dad have arranged for a psych, evaluation after this is done. The Humane Society will not come and get the cats,,,,we have to bring them,,,,idk
    kimigogo

Comment by kimigogo (original poster) at 3:05 PM on Jul. 1, 2010