Visit the sick and feed the hungry

I really want to do this in a way other than donating money. I want to know that I have helped people and enriched their lives on a one-on-one basis. The only problem is, I don't know where to start. I know I can't just waltz into a hospital and visit whomever I want. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

nicolemstacy

Asked by nicolemstacy at 3:34 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Call the hospital and find out what volunteer services they offer or who you can contact. Or contact a local soup kitchen or food bank. They usually welcome any help they can get.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:38 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Call a nursing home and see if they have a program you can volunteer for, and call your local food share program, soup kitchen or what have you to also see if you can volunteer. And Kudos to you for wanting to reach out to those less fortunate!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 3:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• You can volunteer with the Ladies' Auxiliary or at nursing homes. There are lots of ways you can help- volunteering at food banks and soup kitchens, with aid groups, visiting shut ins with another member of your church. Ask around to see what there is for you to do in your area. There's probably a lot more than you think.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Do you have a church or an organization or group that you belong to? Many groups go to visit nursing homes to entertain the residents, speak, offer homemade crafts, etc. I, like you, am not sure about individuals. Perhaps you could call around and get some info.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 3:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Check with your local hospital about volunteeer work. Many have candy striper options. While geared towards teenagers looking to go into the medical field I'm sure they have other options for adults. Same with nursing homes, such as an activities coordinator
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Call a hospital and ask about it.
    When my daughter was stuck in the hospital for a week earlier this year, there were all sorts of people who came by. One was dressed as a princess and handing out little princess and prince stickers, one brought a beautiful dog for the kids to pet, one came by with a guitar and played whatever song the kid wanted. It was so funny watching her play and sing the spongebob theme song!
    A lot of nursing homes have programs where you can visit the people who don't get regular visitors, you just go, talk, play chess, whatever.
    You just have to call and ask at the places you want to visit.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:41 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• You can call around to local nursing homes...they are always wanting,needing and accepting volunteers. You can go in and just sit next to a resident and read them a book, many enjoy this. You can make baked goods and bring them him...but make sure you ask the nurses first which residents are able to eat certain types of food. Many have choking hazards and can only eat purreed foods or they have allergies or strict restrictions on thier diets..so be sure to ask first.
    You can make large casseroles and drop off to a center that serves hot meals on a daily basis to the homeless. Or you can volunteer to help serve the meals.
    Doing these types of things makes such a difference in the lives of people in hard situations...you may think your doing too little but to them..it means the world. It lets them know that someone cares.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Thank you ladies so much! I will do my research and see what the area has to offer. It would be fun to suggest it to our preacher and maybe make a "field trip" out of it lol. Thanks again!
    nicolemstacy

Comment by nicolemstacy (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• In college we made a meals for the homeless shelter and ate dinner with them. It was neat to hear their stories and where they came from!
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 3:43 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• http://www.volunteermatch.org/
    http://www.serve.gov/
    http://www.redcross.org/en/volunteer
    http://www.globalvolunteernetwork.org/

Check the following sites as well. They may have links to organizations in your community that you can volunteer with.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:44 PM on Jul. 1, 2010