Alcoholism

I'm afraid that my children may have issues with alcohol abuse. We have alcoholism on both sides of the family not us but others. Anyone else worry about this??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:05 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Health

• I try to be proactive vs worry. I find ways to get my kids to open up so I really know who they are. What are their dreams, likes and dislikes. I provide a "safe" place for them where they will not be judged and I celebrate who they are. I do whatever I can to build self-esteem and love them. I am from a family with alcohol and drug issues. The tuff love thing didn't work, but paying attention to what was positve about them did have some impact.
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 5:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My family has a history of alcoholism (not me, but my family members in many generations) , as well as my hubs dad and hubs sister. I know with the family history my children are more 'at risk' than children who do not have alcoholism in their family. I do plan to be up front, open and honest with them about alcohol, and set a good example for them.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:11 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Nope. Both my DH and I have a long family history of Alcoholism (although it didn't effect MY parents like it did his), but we don't consume alcohol much, and when we do, it's in a responsible manner (never getting trashed at home with the kids there, and never driving while drinking, no matter how much). We hope that by showing them occasional, responsible alcohol consumption we're setting a good example from which to learn. My parents were the same way, and i've NEVER been one to be too interested in the stuff except for occasionally. I drank maybe a handful of times in high school. Everyone thought getting trashed was sooo awesome, and I just didn't see it that way. I know kids will experiment, but I hope by our example they see it's not really all it's cracked up to be.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 4:11 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My father was a bad alcoholic but I never drank but once the blue moon when I wasn't pregnant. So it never became a problem for me. Also, with my knowing that my dad was one I feared it could happen to me to. So, I never messed with it on a regular basis for nothing to develop from it. Now my husband's dad is an alcoholic and my husband would drink on a schedule like every saturday until his has become an issue of 3-4 times a week now. So I wouldn't worry about the kids being an alcoholic one day unless they start out on a regular basis leading to that problem. But a once the blue I mean like once the month shouldn't be an issue.
    whistlemom3

Answer by whistlemom3 at 4:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Addiction run in my family, but all that means it that it makes it easier to give in to things like that. As long as you raise them right and explain to them what these things are and what they can do to you I'm sure you and your kids will be fine.

Stopping an addiction is as easy as never putting yourself in a position to get addicted; after you're addicted its never ending regardless of if you stop.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 4:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2010