One of my best friend has to take his mother off life support tomorrow and I keep trying to think of the right words to say but nothing seems right.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Health

• This is a tuff one. Being there sometimes says it all. Maybe sharing fond memeories of his mother and coming up with some way to honor her memory may bring some comfort. ie, planting a tree in her name, a donation to a charity in her name. My thoughts are with both you and your friend. He's lucky to have someone like you who cares and loves him.
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 5:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Just offer a hug. There are no "right" words in that situation. You could ask if he wants you to be there, outside or inside the room so he doesn't have to be alone if that's an issue.
    Just make sure he knows he can call you anytime if he needs to talk.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:08 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Sometimes, just offering a shoulder or an ear is the best. Just be there for him and make sure he knows you are there.
    HuskerMommy08

Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I don't think there are any right words to say. Just be there. Give him a hug and if he wants to talk listen. Let him know he is not alone no matter how much he will probably feel like is alone.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Sometimes not saying anything is the best thing you could do and just offer a listening ear and hugs.
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 4:12 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I know nothing will feel right, but saying that you know this is hard and you're there for him if he needs you will be appreciated. If his mother has been suffering and he believes this will end her suffering and help her move on to a better place, then you could also mention that. Whatever you say, I think it's best to keep it short and just make yourself available.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Just let your friend know that you are sorry for their loss and that you are there for them. There is nothing really that you can say about the situation.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Offer to help in anyway your friend needs. Just being there will mean a lot. I am sorry for his loss.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:20 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• i agree with all the other ladies, just being there for him is probably best, let him know that you are there for him no matter what he needs
    kyuteangl88

Answer by kyuteangl88 at 4:54 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• i don't really think there is any right words to say. Like the pp said offer a hugs... Been there done tht with my dh's mom many years ago. Not fun at all. Just be there for your friend... Hugs ((()))
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 6:22 PM on Jul. 1, 2010