Camping with a ten month old help?

Our family is planning a camping trip this weekend and my inlaws have a very small camper that they are gonna stay in with my 10 month old daughter while my husband and i stay in a tent. Well their fridge does not work so we are gonna have to keep certain foods in a ice filled cooler. So my question is what kinds of simple foods could I take for my daughter? She still needs her food cut into TINY pieces and some pureed. I am at a loss here cause I am scared I am not gonna bring enough or the right kinds of food for her. Any ideas?

BellaBean23

Asked by BellaBean23 at 4:12 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Food & Drink

• BradenisMySon made an excellent suggestion. Also, hard root vegetables (carrots, parsnip, winter squash, potatoes, yams, sweet potatoes) store outside refridgeration just fine, and when cooked are easily mashed with a fork --kids tend to like these because they're all smooth and sweet.

She could be eating lightly-seasoned fried ground beef (while you make it into spaghetti sauce or chili after it's browned completely and her portion is removed), because it's already in small pieces. You can bring it frozen and cook it without thawing it, just breaking it up and stirring it around as it browns. You could easily do the same with ground pork, turkey or lamb.

If you feel like finding them, you can get freeze-dried peas (and a lot of other backpacking foods) --they're expensive, considering they weigh practically nothing-- but they're quick (pour boiling water over and wait 5 minutes), and lots of kids love eating them.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:27 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Banana and avocado. They come in their own container, don't need refrigerated at first and are easily mashed and digested.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2010