what age do you let your child(ren) light fireworks?

i can't imagine ever letting it happen, but then..my ds is only 5. i'm sure by the time he's at least 10 or 11..maybe? probably not!

dullscissors

Asked by dullscissors at 4:26 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Holidays

• Not sure yet, she's only 5. :-)
    But, my dad was giving my brother and me a box of matches and handfull of sparklers at ages 9 (me) and 6 (him). I think 6 is a bit young, but nine doesn't seem too bad to light a sparkler.
    I let her hold the sparklers, have since last year after going over the rules (don't point at others, don't try to put it in your pocket, don't point it at your face, don't lick it once it goes out), but I'm gonna have to wait a little longer before I hand her some matches or a lighter.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:29 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My dd is 11 and I'm still not ok with her doing. I think I let my oldest two start around 13 when I knew they could be responsible for the lighter and the firework. And even then it was still under supervision.
    Walker101

Answer by Walker101 at 4:28 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• When they are teenagers! I don;' want my kids to think fire is a game or fun. So they won't do it until they are old enough to understand how dangerous it is.
    MillyPontipee

Answer by MillyPontipee at 4:29 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Where I live, it's illegal for children to touch, hold or carry fireworks. They're explosives. I probably wouldn't try to keep a 16yo from handling them, but I certainly wouldn't leave them in the care of anyone much younger...

Pretty much every year, some dumb parent gives their dumb kid firecrackers and the dumb kid blows up his own hand --or he gives it to a friend who loses his sight or kills a dog... I suspect a lot of people forget they're dangerous and handle them like lighters.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:30 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I don't even give my kids sparklers! Those things burn at up to 1800 degrees! One slip could burn them badly. To big of a risk for me!
    MillyPontipee

Answer by MillyPontipee at 4:31 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• i let him hold a sparkler the other evening, and was holding my breath the entire time. i know his gma would've had a stroke if she'd seen it! luckily, he wasn't too enthralled..but that could always change!
    even i don't like to light fireworks..LUV watching them, though!
    dullscissors

Comment by dullscissors (original poster) at 4:34 PM on Jul. 1, 2010