my husband told my daughter she was embarrassing...

My 10 yr old is not one to control her behavior at times. She is the one jumping up and down in front of a teacher to be picked, in front of a coach, and will nag nag nag until she gets whatever she is wanting. she'll wake us up at 6am b/c we said we'd go to batting cages, mall,movies, whatever. She gets mad at kids for picking on her & shoves them, shuts down when she's at school and won't do classwork, always does something really offbeat in pictures or group gatherings like the awards ceremony for basketball. She will lie to get something...my husband told her (last night when her team won to go to championship game) after pictures, he said she acted up and embarrassed him. He felt she acted like he didn't give her what she needed to feel secure...she was upset...especially after she had won that game. But she was in her coaches face, goofy in pics...I don't know how to react...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Sit her down and have the "you're not a kid anymore" talk. Tell her she is a young lady and that she needs to change some of the things she does. Make sure you tell her not to change who she is, just how she acts in some situations. Give her some scenarios and ask her how she would react and go over what is good, or what to change. This can be an awkward age, but you can help her get through, just be sure to help her self confidence as much as possible!
    HuskerMommy08

Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 4:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• She needs to know that how she is acting upsets him..
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 4:37 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I think your husband did exactly what he needed to do. Maybe she needs to be told this more often. Do you discipine for the inappropriate behavior? The way she acts in pictures ruins the memories for others. Did you make that clear?
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 4:40 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I think I'd have to know exactly how she was acting to comment on her behaviour and your husband's behaviour as far as the game. Otherwise, your daughter is impulsive and enthusiastic, don't curb her enthusiasm, but she needs help with the impulsiveness and lying. With my kids, if they do something like "harping" or nagging about something, they don't get it. They get one warning, and then whatever it is doesn't happen.
    Also, have a talk with her pediatrician if she is really making people upset or uncomfortable. She may just be an offbeat kid, or she may have something else going on. You never know. She may just need som social coaching, and no matter what, she will probably grow out of it and become a surly unresponsive teenager in no time, and you will miss the days when she acted like this, lol.
    TempestRayne

Answer by TempestRayne at 4:46 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• i don't think there is anything wrong with a parent telling a child that their behavior is annoying if it truly is. I guess it all depends on how it is said though.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:22 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I had to tell one of mine that long time ago.And stopped letting her go places with me.then she came to me and told me she wanted to be good so she could go with me again.and she did.She stopped being loud and rude when she was with me.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 11:01 AM on Jul. 2, 2010