No wonder people "live off of the system"..

My husband lost his job last month and we have been living off of savings but decided to file for the medical card and food stamps... luckily we just found out that he got a teaching position that starts at the begining of Aug.

Anyways I was expecting maybe $100-$150 for food stamps because it is just me, my husband and our 2 small kids.... Well today we found out we are getting $750 worth of food stamps !!! Where we live things are pretty cheap, it would be hard to spend that much on food ! I just cant imagine someone needing that much money for food... no wonder so many people are caught selling there FS

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I'm glad you were able to get help for your family! If you don't need all of it, one idea is to buy some non-perishables and donate them to a soup kitchen or other charity. That way you're paying it forward. And congrats on DH's new job! I bet he's super excited!
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 6:36 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I've felt this way for some time... If you are willing to sit on your ass and live on the system they will give and give - free healthcare, FoodStamps, Cash Assistance... the list goes on. But if you actually want to work and support your family and need a little help, there isn't any out there...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:45 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• 750!! That's outrageous! My husband is literally killing himself and I work PT to put food on the table...  I can't even fathom having 750 in food every month!  Whoa.  The system is really messed up.

kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 4:50 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Wow. We have maybe half that to buy food after we're done paying bills. As for "that's just for food so it's not a big deal" thought, believe me, being able to eat is a huge deal. It should at least be appreciated when you get a ton of money for that so your cash can go to other bills.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:55 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• The government wants you to buy the more expensive processed, and prepackaged foods. Enjoy!!
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 4:49 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• when i've had to get food stamps i have noticed that a lot of times I get way way more than what i could ever use for us. I don't know how they get their figures but I have "sold" my fs before to get cash to get things like diapers (when they were babies) and school supplies, or whatever else they needed.
    Walker101

Answer by Walker101 at 4:45 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Wow! Is that for one month? That is a LOT of food!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 4:45 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• ya cause food stamps pay all the utilities and rent and mortgage and car payments/insurance clothes diapers all that, that FS can't really get you far other then food... we used to get FS and get 340 for a family of 3(we still worked just under income) and things are DEF not cheap here, so not 2 sound like a B but just cause you get a lot in food.. don't mean your living the high life specially if you have a ton of other bills.. my gas company dont take EBT.. i doubt yours does either, id just be happy you got aid when u need it and leave it at that
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 4:47 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I work full time, have no support and a teen son. I get $88/month. YaY!!
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• YEAH THEY DO GIVE ALOT OF FOOD STAMPS BUT I'M NOT COMPLAINING.
    honey27

Answer by honey27 at 4:54 PM on Jul. 1, 2010