How often do you buy books for your kids?

We try to take her to a goodwill/thrift store every payday and let her pick out 7 or 8 of them. We pay less for that than one book new, and they are usually in great shape.

Kiwismommy19

Asked by Kiwismommy19 at 5:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• So many I have run out of room and had to say no for a bit. He gets new, used, free....all sorts.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:08 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• tons
    i try to stop
    but every time i go to local thift store- st vinneys and they have the sale of all the books you can get into a paper bag for three dollars, i can not pass this up

last time i got 83 books in one bag, and some were even for me!
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:06 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Pretty frequently. I have slowed down some because my sister and parents have loaded her down with tons lately. Now I just need a bigger shelf for her room.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 5:08 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• i let the little ones pick out a new one every time we go to the dollar store and the oldest just has a library card.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 5:11 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I don't really buy her books all that often. My MIL makes my daughter a blanket every month and when she sends the blanket she always sends a bunch of books. She makes the blankets every month for the first year, so once we're done getting our monthly package, then we'll probably buy her books more often.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:32 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• We used to go every few months but I found the kids were never actually reading the books.  They would beg for them and then they just sit on their shelves.  Now we mostly just buy them when we get our taxes back.  We always take a trip to Barnes & Noble and let them pick out a bunch each.  We usually spend over $200 on that trip alone and I rarely get anything.

When we lived in PA there was a thrift store down the street and someone donated a bunch of Golden Books and those Disney ones (that you used to be able to get for $1 when you bought the movie or from their club) and every week I would go down there and pick a bunch up.  Whatever I could find for $.50-$1 each.  We have pretty big collections of them now and all were in good condition.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:21 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Rarely. My mother buys them between 75 and 100 new books every time she goes out to HalfPrice, and then brings them 2 or 3 at a time every time she comes to visit. So I don't need to buy them books... That's their "special" thing with their gram.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Never. I got a ton of books from family, and we go to the library a lot.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 7:11 PM on Jul. 1, 2010