I picked a name for our son need ya'll opinion on what I should do??

I picked a name for our son and I loved it everyone loved it my husband loved it, but my husband told his 14 yr old daughter he could help name the next baby. Well, the tradition in the family is the sons born of each child, for example the oldest brother had a boy he named his sons middle name after our great grandfather, and my brother was named a part of his great grandfather, my 2nd brother was named after our grandfather and little brother named after our father and so on. Well this is my first boy and I took my hubbies middle name and used it and she said no I said well it's tradition in my family so it's his first or middle she refused and came up with Alexander William and I don't want that name but for arguement sake I left it alone but everytime I try to call him that name it doesn't fit. My hubby finally said it's ours we name him what we want and she will get over it should I go with it or name him what I want?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• 100% name him what u want...its ur child 1st...everything else doesn't matter
    Walker101

Answer by Walker101 at 5:03 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• It's YOUR baby, name him what you want. You don't owe it to anyone to let them name your child. If they want to name a child, they can have one and name it, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:03 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Name him what you want! Tell her to save her name for when she has her own children someday!
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 5:04 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• That is defienatly a hard choice to make. I think you have a few things to consider. First of all how is the relationship you have with your stepchild? If you guys are close it could seriously affect the relationship. Also maybe you could consider using your husbands middle as your sons first name and let your stepchild give ur son his middle name within reason. But it is yours and ur husbands choice. Your stepchild will have to accept whatever choice you make in the long run.
    LovinKayla

Answer by LovinKayla at 5:06 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• name him the way that you see fit. when my ds was born my dh and i wanted to name him Devlin Dakota. But my family had a fit and said that it sounded like devil. I have regretted the decision not naming him. Instead we went with Dakota Scott,
    rainfey

Answer by rainfey at 5:06 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• agree - choose the name YOU want
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 5:06 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• a name is a big thing for someone that is not the parents to decide.....let her know that it is your family tradition and you would like to stick with the name you have chosen. and ask her if instead she will help with the nursery and and picking things out for the baby....and also that way she can pick what she likes and go with it even if you dont like it because the sheets and such have to be washed sometime and when they do then put your choice on and rotate.....but IMO a name should be decided by the parents and the parents only ..you can take suggestions but in the end it is your and your DH decision....GL
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 5:07 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Obvious you and your husband love the name you picked. So keep it. Yea she might be disappointed but its not her baby. She will get over it. Never make someone name your child something you dont want.
    My sons middle name is Phoenix, i hate the name. His dad fought with me so hard to keep it, i just gave up. It is tradition in our family to name all the members with French names (Phoenix is not) I wanted Marcel Travaris. Well its Marcel Phoenix. Still to this day I regret it, Marcel even hates it. So please go with your heart and your husbands...
    Trotterswife

Answer by Trotterswife at 5:10 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Isn't it enough that he'll be carrying on the last name? I would name him whatever you wanna name him. Forget about tradition, try something new.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 5:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I have to say I think it's a little silly that you'd even consider naming your child something you don't want just so your step-daughter doesn't throw a fit. Like pp's have said she can name HER kids whatever she wants.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 5:24 PM on Jul. 1, 2010