Would You Act Like This Toward Your Husband?

My DD10 and I were just at the grocery store, there was a man, his wife and 5 yr old daughter with their cart in the line next to ours. She started screaming at him, called him stupid, and stormed off to get whatever it was he apparently forgot.

He looked so sad, and the poor little girl was just sitting there looking like she was going to cry. He patted her head, it was the sweetest thing. I wanted to go over to him and tell him that he deserved better and to leave the store before that awful shrew came back. Of course I didn't, but I as appalled that anyone could act that way to their spouse - especially in public, and in front of their child.

When we got to my truck, my DD asked me why that woman was so mean and made her DD and husband so sad. I told her that some people just don't know how to treat the people they love.

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 5:05 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• Wow, I am sorry to hear that. How embarressed he and his daughter must have been. No, I would never berate my hubby like that at home, by ourselves let alone in a public store. Bless their heart...
    ShelbysHope

Answer by ShelbysHope at 5:13 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• WOW!  That is appalling.  *shakes head*

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:10 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• It's horrible. That poor child is just going to grow up thinking that's the way to treat a man and that her dad is an idiot. It's the same as when a woman take abuse from a man, they grow up thinking that's the way it is.
    No one should act like that in front of the children.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 5:12 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• We've had our little spats...nothing too major..i'm sure i've called him stupid but he knew i didnt mean anything by it and i wasnt being really ugly. I have seen a woman slap her husband across the face and beat him with her purse...(in walmart)
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:14 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• No, I wouldn't treat my husband that way. That's sad.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• No I wouldn't and that is really heartbreaking. Especially him patting his DDs head.

However, we don't know the whole story and maybe she just broke down and he is a private rageaholic. Who knows.

I would have felt sad for the dad and child too though and a bit uncomfortable too. Like do you give them a sympathetic look? Look away because you don't want to embarrass them? Say something loud to whoever you're with about how inappropriate the wife just was?
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 5:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Never-- I think it shows a lack of respect for self. Maybe she was to stupid to tell him what she wanted. IDK I will never get why women or men act like that towards their spouses and why the other stays with that treatment. Especially with children. That womens mom probably treated her husband that way and she grew up thinking that was the right way, its a bad cycle and wont stop until someone breaks it.
    Trotterswife

Answer by Trotterswife at 5:18 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I believe that there is a old "rule" that you should trear people the way that you want to be treated.

I could NEVER treat my husband that way. It was very wrong and she is not setting a good expample for the child... but neither is the dad by staying with her and allowing her to treat him that poorly.
    krkljmc4e

Answer by krkljmc4e at 5:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I don't know, depends on the guy. My ex used to be the nicest sweetest thing out in public making everyone think him the best DH in the world, then we would go home and he would go home and put rat (and other) poison in my food (didn't know that til later), treat me like dirt. He was mean and manipulative, just not in front of other people so no one knew what I was going through. Not that I ever screamed at him but I did call him stupid. He fell asleep at the wheel with me and our son with him. I was yelling at him and shaking him and he still fell asleep. Later he told me he did stuff like that on purpose cause he wanted to see me die. Sometimes he pushed me so far, he acted like he was incapble of functioning alot. Like forgetting things and making me go back for them. I found out later that alot of my anger was caused by the poison in my food. I don't approve of it, and I wouldn't talk to my bf like that. But still.
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 5:26 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Yes this is wrong, and no I would not treat my husband like that in front of others. There are times, believe me when I just want to lit one on his a** but I don't because I want to get the same respect back from him. If ever I have some words to exchange with my husband that are not pleasant we try to do it privately. I would feel very bad for him too, I can only imagine how she speaks to the child at home, very sad!
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 5:10 PM on Jul. 1, 2010