What's the weirdest thing your pet has eaten by mistake?

Poofy, the puppy, ate a purple crayon. Not sure where she found it. She kept coming in the living room from Ki's room with a crayon in her mouth, and we would take it away. We looked, didn't find any, figured she got them all, then the next day, her poo was purple! I guess we missed one.

Kiwismommy19

Asked by Kiwismommy19 at 5:17 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Pets

• When I worked at the veterinary hospital, I took all manner of calls. Worst of those were the folks who called after their dog ate a used condom and wondered if it would become pregnant. Next worst was the dog who ate a lady's diaphragm and then she asked for it back! We literally cut open the dog's stomach to remove the thing! Eeek!
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 1:34 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I have a cat who ate a rubber band. I had another cat who tried to eat a fish hook. It must have smelled like fish. He needed surgery.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• ribbon-cat

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My Doberman has eaten about 10 socks in his 4 years... We try to keep them away and picked up but he has some sort of crazy sock radar! Luckily he's always thrown them back up (sometimes a couple days later!) or it would be expensive! Other than that neither of ours eats weird things or chew things up.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 5:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My Alaskan Husky, Autumn, just last week caught and ate a POSSUM! GROSS!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 5:53 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My mothers dog ate a used tampon. He had to have is surgically removed!
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 6:05 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• We once had a Great Pyrenees that ate the neighbors red paint. Later that night I saw red stuff leaking from his butt so I rushed him to a 24 hour vet thinking he was dying. The vet said it was paint. The neighbor called the next morning to say there was HUGE red paw prints all over his porch. Thank goodness the porch was what he was planning to paint! But we had to replace our carpet. hahaha.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 6:12 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My dog has ate a lot of things he never should have. Here are a few: a bar of soap, elastics, stuffed animals. socks, 6 foot nylon leash, a super ball, the ball inside the mouse for your computer, 1-2 pounds of chocolate (he has done this more than once). That is all I can think of right now but I am sure there is more. Thankfully he has never had to have surgery to have any of this removed.
    Jordyn1202

Answer by Jordyn1202 at 8:07 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• my cat just ate some insulation the other day and he likes to drink my son's pee out of the potty chair. he will be waiting for him to get done so he can try and drink it before i emptyit out. talk about nasty lmao
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:35 PM on Jul. 1, 2010