My 2 year old daughter has been sick for a month.Help!

Hi my daughter turned 2 in April. About a month ago she started throwing up at night and having diarrhea all throughout the day. It then developed into throwing up 6 or 7 times a day and still have diarrhea. I have taken her to the doctor and they kept saying it was probably a stomach bug. I finally took her to the ER tired of hearing its a stomach bug. The doctor there did an Xray and said she is either lactose intolerant or may have some kind of bacteria or parasite in her. He ordered a stool culture and I am currently waiting for the results. He said if those come back negative then it she might need to see a stomach specialist. Has any other mother had this happen to them. I am worried to death and these doctors are not helping me or listening to me.I just don't know what to do to help my poor baby.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I was going to suggest the parasite route, but that would be pretty unusual, especially if you haven't travelled any place.
    Lactose intolerant? Is she still drinking any milk right now, or having any yogurt/cheese/ dairy foods? If not, then it probably isn't that. Why don't you just go ahead and call a GI specialist tomorrow, to get an appt. If the stool culture comes back that it's something treatable, you can cancel the appt. Good luck, I can imagine how worried you must be.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:23 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• i had that problem with my son when he was little. we went as far as having and endoscopy and a colonoscopy to find out why he was having problems. and come to find out is was that he was lactose intolerant. we changed his milk and diet and he was much better. hope everything turns out ok. i remember how i was with him and not knowing what to do
    rainfey

Answer by rainfey at 5:27 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I get so tired of Dr's not listening. I am SO sorry you are going through this.. I get passed off as a first time mom and have spent SO much money in copay's is insane..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:32 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Op here- She has been on a Lactose free diet for 3 days and is still have the diarrhea, it is so much at once it comes out of her diaper before I can even grab her up to change it. I just did not know if anyone has gone through this before. It is scaring me and these doctors act like I am crazy . I found out the test results tomorrow. I just do not want anything bad to happen to my little girl or for her to be in pain and feel bad all the time. We have not went on vacation I am a very clean person. I just don't understand it.
    Kelly_Motherof2

Answer by Kelly_Motherof2 at 5:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Get another doctor if you are not happy with the doctor you have! I hope you find the answers... HUGS ((()))
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 6:29 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Are there other new foods? Are there consistant foods in her diet daily? It is not uncommon for a person to react to a food after consuming it with no issue in the past. For example, my DD has food allergies. She had eaten almost all her allergens without reaction before her first reaction. In fact, after her 1st reaction we weren't even sure it was an allergic response or a stomach virus.

IF the ER's test come back inconclusive, it might be worth seeing an allergist in addition to the GI. *if* (and I"m not saying you are) you're dealing with allergies, you want a specialist that can help you navigate the cause not just address the symptom.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:07 PM on Jul. 1, 2010