Why is there so much pressure to name the son after someone in the family?

Another poster made me think of this. Why is there so much pressure for that? Isn't it enough that the son carries on the last name? Why pressure yourself into naming him after someone in the family and just name him whatever you wanna name him?

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 5:32 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• IDK, my son has his own name. No pressure.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:33 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My family and my husband's family isn't like that. So I don't know.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:33 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• No pressure, just do not do it. I think you would regret it, and people-- please give those boys their own identity!
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:36 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• It wasn't this pressure but I knew if my son didn't bare some type of My fathers name he would be mad, but I didnt mind it. I like knowing that my son carries a bit of tradition and history from MY family. My daughter (if this baby is a girl) will also have her middle name as my moms name.

I think it has alot to do with ppl and wanting to carry on names and family heritage. for some ppl its important and some ppl its not. If you think its pressure and really dont want to name r kid that then dont.
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 5:38 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• It's sort of a family tradition (one that I personally love) on my dad's side of the family. Both him, and two of his brothers were named after their uncles. My brother who was stillborn had my dad's first name, and two middle names - My paternal grandpa's first and middle name. I always promised my dad if I ever had a son of my own, I would name him after him...either by using his first, or middle name. My dad very much had his own identity, and I know any son of mine would too. We were hoping for a boy this pregnancy, as I knew my dad's time was almost up, but after he passed we found out we were having another girl. So we're giving her the middle name Grace, since my dad's name meant "God Is Gracious". But I will say, there was never any pressure to use my dad's name...it was completely up to my discretion, but something I personally felt strongly about. Luckily my DH is wonderful and agreed.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 5:45 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My SO family tried to pressure us into naming my son a jr but we just put a spin on my SO's name
    My so is Teon Terrell
    My Son is Teondre Tyrell
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 6:10 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• We never have had that pressure. My husband's name is Clint so it is different and not what we really liked. Our two sons are Connor Jeremiah and Colin Thomas. Jeremiah is after my husband's middle name Jeremy. Connor was because of the highlander series of movies we liked. We picked Colin for another C name and Thomas is my husband's brother's name whom he is closest to.
    However, to answer your question more, many times it made it easier in the old days to keep track of families and who belonged with whom. It was also tradition because the son was to take the father's place if something happened causing the father's death.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 7:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2010