What do you think about the new Tan Tax?

A 10 percent tax on tanning beds went into effect Thursday in the United States to help fund the Healthcare Reform Act.

The new tax is on anyone who pays for ultraviolet indoor tanning. It does not apply to self tanning.

What do YOU think?
Personally, I LOVE this new tax! NO ONE should be tanning, and hopefully this law, and others like it, will hinder some of the tanning (especially in young people)... And I would rather the extra tax money comes from unhealthy practices (tanning, cigarettes, alcohol) than from needs like food & clothing!

My state is in the process of passing laws which will also require tanners to sign warning forms, teens to have parents present and anyone under 14 will be required to have a doctors okay... Again, I think this is awesome!

What do you all think?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 5:37 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Didnt hear about it, but I think its really good. I dont dig the burnt to a crisp or carrot look lol
    Trotterswife

Answer by Trotterswife at 5:38 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I see both sides - tanning is even less intelligent than smoking. Smoking is a physical addiction, tanning is just vanity. In that respect, if we're going to tax SOMETHING, I'd rather they tax something that is an obvious, cut and dried bad idea rather than one that is subjective and depends mainly on which lobbyist contributes to most whether it gets on the list or not.

On the other hand, tanning places are usually small businesses, and this is going to hurt some (not all) of them. People are already using them less - a lot of the ones around here that aren't part of huge chains have gone under since the recession started. it's one of the first non-essential expenses people cut back on. It would be nice if it included an incentive for them to convert their beds to spray booths (added bonus there are more oompa loompas to laugh at)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:41 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I see nothing wrong with sin/luxury taxes. the taxes on non-necessities can be as high as they want to make them, its completely a personal choice to partake in these things, you want it you gotta be willing to pay for it.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 5:43 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• "tanning places are usually small businesses, and this is going to hurt some (not all) of them. People are already using them less"

This is actually the only thing I can see that's bad about it, but honestly, if you earn your income by providing a service that is actually killing people, you should start looking for a new business ANYWAYS...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 5:50 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Sounds good. They just raised the cigarette tax in my state, now maybe my uncle will quit smoking! As for tanning, I just saw a show where the daughter was obesessed with tanning, she sat in the sun all day then would go to a tanning bed for a few hours. She would even leave one place, then go straight to another! She did not look good. Her Dr even told her she was concerned about her skin cancer risk but she didn't care.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 5:50 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I love how it's always a double standard. It's okay if teens want to rip infants from their wombs... but hell no to them giving themselves cancer. lol What happened to it's my body stuff? I think the age limit is pretty dumb a 16 yo can go buy the plan b pill with no consent, yet you have to have a parent sign for tanning if you're under 18 in Cali.? I just think the priorities are really jacked. Most girls tan outside the tanning bed anyway. It's dumb you can't make laws telling people what to do with their bodies if it comes to pregnancy.... but oh cancer? Well well they better protect me from myself. It's just dumb.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 6:08 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I agree with NP and Crissy.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:14 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I agree with NP, Crissy, and Quinn.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 6:37 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• LMAO...I agree with NP, Crissy, and Quinn & 29 :)
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:40 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I think it's fallout from what happens when the government is going to be handling the payload for something (healthcare). They then have to regulate the hell out of everyone. My choice would be to have everyone being in charge of his or her own healthcare expenses and also free to make decisions about what they do to their bodies, as far as smoking, tanning, obesity, etc. If the gov't is going to have everyone on the dole at some point, then I guess everyone should be told what they can and can't do since the rest of us have to pay for it.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 6:49 PM on Jul. 1, 2010