Do you ever feel like you baby your child?

My daughter is 8, and quickly getting into a very independent stage. She's always been independent, but so innocent and incredibly sweet-its just her nature. Lately I've been able to compare her to other girls her age, and I feel as if maybe she's a little too innocent, maybe clueless, or just being her sweet little self. I'm slowly learning how to give her more space and personal responsibility, but maybe I need to try a little harder. I just feel as if I've babied and coddeled her too much. Anyone else feel the same way?

nappeal

Asked by nappeal at 5:56 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I've babied my 9 year old, I admit it, he was my baby for 9 years before my LO came along. I am currently trying to make a mental note that I have to emotionally detach myself from him, he is getting older and needs to be more independent. With him being the baby for so long, I just didn't know which other way to act when he was growing up but with the baby here it's making it difficult for both him and I, sometimes he feels left out because I am constantly "wait", or "just a minute" because I need to attend to the baby, very hard but I know what you mean.

LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 6:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I think I've babied both of my girls. I didn't really realize it until recently, that they both seem so much "younger" and more dependent than many other children their own age (which in some ways really isn't a bad thing!). But now I am taking steps for them to become more independent, and by that I don't mean turning them loose on the internet or allowing them to roam around the neighborhood all day by themselves, but by assigning chores, having them work on writing and reading assignments without my help, bathing themselves, etc. I was never around kids before I had my own, so I really had no idea that I was doing too much for them that they should be doing themselves!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• The problem isn't that yours seems too innocent, the problem is that too many other 8yo are NOT. I wouldn't worry about her. Let her be a kid.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 7:50 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I do the opposite. I made my 7 yo go on the Zipper last night. I do not baby my two girls in any way.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 1:28 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Just getting into an independent stage at 8?

Yikes.  My 4yo does everything for herself and has for awhile.  I'm so proud of all she can do.  My other kids were the same (my older 2 were even learning to use the microwave at 4, this one can't reach it, though).

Right now my 8yo son is at the park hanging out with his friends.  I just bought him a watch with an alarm so he will know when it's time to come home so I don't have to fetch him at 7pm.  My 7yo just came home for dinner (she had been playing with the boys).  I sure don't baby them, I've encouraged independence since they were toddlers and I'm very proud of them.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:14 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• My mother tells me I baby my son... he's 1 years old, but for the most part, he's pretty independent. It's just that when I'm around her, I'm more protective - and for good reason too. I wouldn't worry about it :)
    SebbiesMommy

Answer by SebbiesMommy at 8:28 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I have been wondering this myself as of late I have a 7 year old and she too acts much younger then my oldest did at the same age. I admit I have babied her more then I should... but hey she is my last child and she is happy, content, giving, thoughtful and caring. I say she had turned out pretty well.
    southerndesign

Answer by southerndesign at 10:04 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I don't. My kids are good kids but I recognize that there are so many things I need to teach them about responsibility and growing up. My sister babies her kids. They are emotionally crippled and don't do crap for themselves. The real world is going to be real hard for them, but I don't think this is you. If you are even asking yourself this you probably don't do it;)
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 11:33 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Innocence isn't the same as immaturity. I think they can be innocent & mature.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:04 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I tried. Did not work. My 4 year is way too much like my husband and me. He is very independent and wants to do things for himself.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:25 AM on Jul. 3, 2010