I have started a sticker/pebble earning system... It seems like it will be a wonderful thing..... Tell me....

.... what is worth what for your system... For example, how many stickers or gems do they earn for _________, how many do they lose for doing __________, and when it comes to rewards, what does 5, 10, 15, 20, etc get them?? I'm just trying to compare and see if I can improve it a little!!

AdoptingMyChild

Asked by AdoptingMyChild at 6:03 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You have to adjust the system to what you issue is. I did a sticker chart for my grandson when we were having problems with poty training. He went in the potty, had clewan and dry pants he got a sticker. 7 stickers mean a choice from the prize drawer ( stuff like matchbox cars, bouncing balls, $3 or less stuff). Our son was a totally different matter. The system was about helping him take back control of himself.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:55 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• We did this years ago with our oldest. He has severe ADHD. We used poker chips Whites were one reds were five.. We set it up so If he got up when called/or alarm =1, makes bed =1,brushes teeth (only told once)=1, gets dressed =1, ready to leave on time=1...gets ALL points in the morning =5 bonus. At school he had 3 blue chips in his pocket. Teacher takes one for bad behaviour. If he comes home with at least one chip =5 points. If he came home with no chips he loses 3 from his jar. And on through the day including chores, bathtime, ready for bed routine. Chip[s had to be used to buy TV time like 5 chips for 30 mins. MAX 2 hrs a day. Chips for video games and things like that. We had it set up so he could earn lots of chips in a day...but he had to spend chips for things he really wanted like TV and games. We also had a list that he could save up for. Like 20 chips was go to Baskin Robbins. cont'd
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:17 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• His biggest goal was to save 70 chips...that meant a special tenting out back with Dad. He saved for that 4 different times. It worked great for us. Mainly I think because the 'subjective' decisions were taken out. Either he got up..or not. Either he had chips from schoool or not. I hope it works as well for you.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Sorry to write so much but I remembered I forgot to add that sometimes we would 'catch him being good" and give him chips for that.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:20 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Ours was simple. The behavior we were trying to change was getting out of bed. For every night our daughter stayed in bed and didn't get up she got one sticker on her chart. If she did get up she got a frowny face (and that was horrible to her). When she had 20 stickers on the chart, she got a trip to the Dollar Tree for any one item of her choice.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2010