does registration mean anything to you?

...if so is akc the only one you have heard of? i have heard of others but they don't seem to measure up (bad rumors) and i have even heard of dual registry but it seems to be the others accept akc but akc is not accepting other dog registries. i could be wrong about that. just wondering which direction to go in purchasing a dog.

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 6:10 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Pets

• Most dog breeders even AKC registered breeders are puppy mills or backyard breeders... but ALL breeders that don't register or only register with another club are puppy mills or backyard breeders... Does that make sense?
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 9:22 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I would never buy a purebred dog that wasn't AKC.... BUT having AKC papers means next to nothing as far as the quality of breeder or dog. I only say that I will only buy an AKC dog because NO reputable breeder would use anything else or not register...
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 9:20 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Both my rottweiler and boxer have akc papers, but we never registered them. They are only state registered. I think unless you are planning on showing your dog in competitions, people put way too much into finding a dog. j
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 6:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• some breeds have special registries. i know collies do. i dont think registry should have much to do with choosing a pet though.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:30 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I think registries are also important if you have a dog with a paticular health problem. My parents have a german shepard that they got from a co-workers brother and almost all the dogs have really bad hip displaysia or have other issues and have already died at pretty young ages.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 10:24 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I tend to go with mutts and will be doing adoption for any future pets so no, being registered doesn't mean anything to me.
    AngelicaRenee

Answer by AngelicaRenee at 10:50 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Out of the dogs we had with papers I only sent in the ones for our English Bulldog. I sent hers in just b/c I was filling out for her micro chip information. For the most part when we are looking for another pet we tend to search out for pet quality and not really worry about papers since we have no desire to breed or show and just want a loving new family member.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 4:25 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I agree with Blueliner. Definitely do your research when looking for a breeder. Here's a good article on finding a good breeder http://www.almosthomerescue.org/breeders/breeders.htm
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 8:58 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Blueliner,

I will agree that SOME breeders that have AKC registration are millers or backyard breeders. I don't think its most. The AKC has very little governing body of what is a puppy mill and what isn't. They do not have people out to enforce the "choose a reputable breeder" stance they take.

I own a purebred dog. He is dual registered...with both AKC and CKC. His breed and subsequent breeder I researched for four years before I decided the breed fit my home and the breeder was the one I wanted to "use"

I don't agree that people put way too much thought into getting a dog. In fact, people don't put enough thought into it. This is why there is a need for rescues, shelters, animal control and why thousands and thousands of dogs are being gassed, euth'd or sold to med labs daily. con't
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:35 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• People need to put more thought into choosing a dog...if they did, the shelters would be practically empty.

When I tell people I waited for my dog for four years they tell me that I should have just gone to a pet store...when I tell them that he is an unfixed, show quality male, their eyes bug out and you can see dollar signs popping from them. Then, they proceed to tell me they have a female and we should breed our dogs....they don't understand why I give nasty responses. When I tell them to go to a shelter and look at all the "gee I wonder what would happen if I did this" dogs...they look at me as if I have asked them to explain the square root of pi times 77.

People don't put enough thought into getting a dog..and ultimately its the dog (and the kids) that suffers.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:39 AM on Jul. 3, 2010