Does your child take vitamins with IRON?

I can't get my son to eat enough stuff that has iron, won't do the iron drops, or vitamins with Iron. What can I do?

When I tried to give him the iron drops (and they are NASTY) I think he now knows the Iron flavor. When you put a Flintstone on your tongue (yes, he "tested" it....) he then says with laughter, "No, that's yucky".

doodlebopfan

Asked by doodlebopfan at 6:11 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you talked with your child's doctor? Iron is one of the most dangerous vitamins. Many children overdose on iron every year. I don't even buy vitamins with iron in them. I have young children and do not want to have to worry about an accidental overdose.
    momto1girl3boys

Answer by momto1girl3boys at 6:37 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Yes, my daughter takes Animal Parade vitamins with Iron. She doesn't complain about taking them. They taste pretty good too.
    Jordyn1202

Answer by Jordyn1202 at 7:59 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Is he low in Iron? Unless the doctor has run blood tests that confirms low blood iron, I wouldn't worry about it.

I do not purchase vitamins that have iron in them because of the risk of overdose.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 11:59 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My kids used to have vitamins with iron and I called the doctor to make sure I got the kind without. I know growing up I had issues with vitamins, especially those with iron, and I don't want my kids to deal with that. There is also no need for them. My oldest came back as low on iron when he was 12 months (but that is usual) so I just made sure he ate oatmeal every morning for breakfast because it is high in iron. I also have been making smoothies lately and sneaking some spinach in them since spinach is high in iron too if I remember correctly.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:40 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Yes, he's LOW in iron. That's why I asked the question. If we can't increase his iron, he could become anemic enough to require a transfusion...

I said that he doesn't eat ENOUGH iron, and I can't get the supplements in him. If it doesn't get better, I'm afraid he could require IV treatment or transfusion with donated blood.
    doodlebopfan

Comment by doodlebopfan (original poster) at 9:20 AM on Jul. 2, 2010