Why are reporters still being denied access?

It has been virtually impossible to get any information about the federal mobile medical unit in the fishing town of Venice, La.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services set up the facility on May 31. According to a press release, the medical unit is staffed by "a medical team from the HHS National Disaster Medical System -- a doctor, two nurses, two emergency medical technician paramedics (EMT-P) and a pharmacist."

It was either "access denied," or no response at all. It was something that none of us had ever encountered while covering a disaster. We're usually at some point provided access to the health services being offered by the federal government.

National Incident Commander Thad Allen specifically directed officials on the ground to grant access to the media, in what appears to be the most widely unheard or ignored set of orders in the world.

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 6:36 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• beachmamaof2

Comment by beachmamaof2 (original poster) at 6:36 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• could it be to treat the morons that knowingly bought the formaldehyde tainted trailers that were left after Katrina to live in while cleaning up the oil spill?
    That's my only guess as to why it's there.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 6:46 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• DarkFaery131

• Call me naive but I'm Canadian and other than what I've seen on the TV about the oil spill, I haven't gone looking for conspiracy theories related to it. What is the issue with the media not being able to "get info" on this? If the people who need to be treated are being treated then what's the problem? Be patient and explain if you don't mind...if you're going to be condescending or bitchy don't bother.
    MizusT

Answer by MizusT at 6:49 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• MizusT
    I tend to only get condescending &/or bitchy in response to someone else first...not just questions =)

Here's the backstory summary:
    After the spill happened they sprayed these chemical dispersants that they really haven't fully tested...then in the following week or two several people all in different areas became ill and had to be taken in for treatment...

At the time; BP honcho Tony whats-his-name that's not around anymore said he thought they were all suffering from "food poisoning or something" and it wasn't related to the spill or clean up efforts at all.

The media is trying to figure out if the people involved in the clean up effort are putting their health at risk...should there be more safety protocols in place? It's been a while now; so what were those people treated for? Was it food poisoning? (unlikely since they were all in different areas) or was it something that was related to the spill or not??
    beachmamaof2

Comment by beachmamaof2 (original poster) at 7:12 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• they are more interested in stemming the flow of information than the flow of oil.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 10:13 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• It's that transparency so many people voted for.

Aint it grand
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:26 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• lovin, OMG really? Did you not see what beach said it was BP. Why are you soooo ignorant?
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 10:52 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• D - to be fair the article doesn't say exactly who is preventing them...it says the location is known as BP HQ; however it's a Federal Medical unit they're wanting access to; IDK if BP has authority to prevent them access w/out gov't approval...so it could be possible that both are blocking them; I just don't know...what I do know is there is a lot of information that is being kept from us...
    beachmamaof2

Comment by beachmamaof2 (original poster) at 10:57 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• beach, I know but it should not ALWAYS go back to Obama. You know really this is BP's problem and so many people said Obama didn't do anything right? So how can this be his fault? I am not getting it!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 11:00 PM on Jul. 1, 2010