Exactly how is a cervical stretch done during pregnancy?

I am dilated to a 3.5 and am 50% effaced. My Dr told me when I reach 5 cm dilated she will break my waters. She said that we might be able to talk about a cervical stretch to get the process going seeing as though I have been in prodromal labor for 4 weeks now. I was wondering exactly how it is done. She also said I can massage my cervix at home too and that might help. How would I go about doing that, yes given all health percautions are taken. (and please no snide comments, my Dr has been doing this for YEARS and she knows what she is talking about, and no comments about just letting the baby come when its ready, no 1 but me and my dr know whats going on with my body.) Just asking for some friendly advise! thank you! :)

knwilson90

Asked by knwilson90 at 6:46 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i have heared more of cervical massage than cervical stretch? maybe it is kinda the same? I believe they have a section on cervical massage in "what to expect when your expecting"-explains it detail for detail. Ummm also i was only maybe 2cm and an hour after they broke my water I was at 10cm with both of my pregnancies so you may find yourself in the same position. Something to do with the fact the when your water is broke your hormones work strongly on your cervix. Anyhow I am also sure there is an explanation of cervical massage online as well.
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 7:00 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I found this online at a nurses site for discussion:
    So here is what I do and it does seem to progress labor. Now I don't do this as a rule and not every patient needs it done but if they are moving slowly or have scar tissue I will stretch a bit. I will check a patient, note their dilation and then stretch. If you have ever striped membranes, it’s exactly like that. It's a circular motion and very gentle, with your finger bent slightly inside of the cervix. I don’t stretch if I feel resistance. It shouldn’t feel like tissue is stretching but rather like the folds around the Os are unfolding. Usually this will cause them to dilate 1/2 - 1 cm if they are in true labor. You should not have to put the strength of your arm into it, only your index or middle fingers.
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 7:05 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• cont: You shouldn’t cause new bleeding by stretching. If the patient doesn’t have an epidural the stretching shouldn’t cause them horrible pain (unless they are in horrible pain just from an exam). Now in the case of scar tissue and a patient that has obviously been laboring but not changing their cervix, you may cause some bleeding but it still shouldn’t require much effort (if it does you need to wait until the patient labors and effaces more). Some times with scar tissue all you need is to apply slight pressure with the pad of your finger to the outside of the Os.
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 7:06 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• When I wouldnt dialate first they broke my water, then they put some kind of gel in there that was supposed to help me dilate.. And when they didnt think that was working they were going to put some kind of balloon in there and pump it up to where I was fully dilated then ofcourse they would have taken it out.. But thankfully right before they were about to put the balloon in they checked again and I was fully dilated :) GL to you
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 7:06 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• http://allnurses.com/ob-gyn-nursing/cervix-stretching-dense-129082.html

this was the website i found this info at!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 7:07 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• i think it's very similar to when they strip the membranes, they just reach up there and stick a finger in and literally stretch it...
    kyuteangl88

Answer by kyuteangl88 at 7:14 PM on Jul. 1, 2010