have you got bad news on your blood work

i did the test to see if my baby has downs or the other two things they look for
well out of 100% mine came back 4% it could have downs whick i had a mothers feeling that this baby will. with my last one it was 0%. i need more testing but has any of you had ur test and then have your baby and its fine

twimommy

Asked by twimommy at 7:03 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• hugsi never had this kind of testing done. good luck to you mama!!! did your test say you have a 4% chance of having a baby with down's? that is very very low! i wish you the best of luck and the best of health to you and your family.

happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:09 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Yeah, I quit doing that bloodwork. It just stresses you out for no reason. One of my childrens came back high and they were fine. They had input my due date incorrectly or something. Stressed me out for a week. They re-ran it with my correct due date and all was well.
    momto1girl3boys

Answer by momto1girl3boys at 7:10 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My mother was told that my youngest sister had downs based on those tests and that she should abort her. Thankfully she didn't because my sister is now 18, healthy and graduating at the top of her class. Those tests aren't always accurate. I have refused them with all of my pregnancies.
    Clarity_Faith

Answer by Clarity_Faith at 8:20 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• The test has evolved over the years so I can't offer direct input on *this* test. However, when I was pregnant with my first I had a triple-screen done. It came back indicating we had a higher than average (for my age) risk of the baby having Down's. We did an ultrasound with a high-risk OB. He felt, after the u/s that the baby was unlikely to have Down's. We opted to waive the amnio. My son just turned 8 and the high-risk OB was right - no Down's. I was told that with *that* particular test there are some assumptions and factors invovled in determining the results. If any of those assumptions are off or if a measurement of something or other is slightly off it'll skew the results. In my case the wrongly estimated my weight gain or something like that. Also, if your gut is right - it'll be ok. Yes, there are challenges, but there is also so much wonderful and fantastic too.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:55 PM on Jul. 1, 2010