im prego and my blood test came back bad

has this happen to any of you i have a 4% that my baby can have downs. i know 4% out of 100% isnt that bad but with my first baby it came back as 0% im crying my eyes out right now i feel bad because i want my baby to be able to live life to its fullest and i will love it no matter what its my baby...........but im crying because i feel i did this to him/her.

twimommy

Asked by twimommy at 7:07 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I would hope the doc that did your test assured you that you did not cause it. And it's ONLY 4%, not 50 or 60. There is a VERY good chance your baby will be perfectly healthy, and there is so much else to worry about during pregnancy, so I would relax. The AFP and the triple screen both have high false positives anyway. Relax!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 7:10 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• the same thing happened with me, but they said it was an 85% chance. most likely they did the testing too early or too late, because that is one test that HAS to be done within a certain time frame, and they can be wrong on your due date. don't stress momma. those tests are NOT accurate. i'm in school for medical assistant right now and we were talking about this the other day, our teachers are all RNs and such and we all agree that those tests shouldn't even be used!
    kyuteangl88

Answer by kyuteangl88 at 7:12 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• you dont have control over it hunny! You shouldn't get yourself down about it because not only is it a 4% chance but no matter how your little angel comes to you your baby will be perfect! God will bless you with the child he has planned for you and he never gives us more than we can handle as long as we trust in him. Also babies with downs syndrome can still go on to lead very normal lives. Medical technology has advances to the point that they can provide medical care for children with disabilities way beyond what it use to be. I have many friends with Downs syndrome that are wonderful people and love life! I am with you in prayer hun. Hope all goes well! *HUGS MOMMA*
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 7:13 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• thank you
    twimommy

Comment by twimommy (original poster) at 7:13 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• 4% is sooooo unbelievably small! I know you are concerned but those tests are SOOOOO inaccurate its ridiculous. That is why I never opted to get one, because they just make you stress your whole pregnancy and then you wind up having a perfectly healthy baby! Babies have been born with Downs that tested with 0% chance, and babies have been born without Downs that tested with 100% of having it. Its too unreliable. And even if the test was perfect, 4% is nothing to worry about! There is a 96% chance your baby will be fine!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 7:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• the same test was done on two of my closest friends mothers when the mothers were pregnant with my friends. both of them came back positive that they had DS...the test could not have been more wrong because not only did they come out perfectly healthy but both of them are brilliant women so i would not trust the DS test
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 7:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Have you done the nuchal translucency Test? They do a 3D sonogram to measure the fluid in the babies spine and come up with very accurate results. I did that with my son and got a 1 of 10,000 chance, which is the lowest. Maybe they can give you a clearer mind. There is no blood drawn, nothing invasive, if you get your doc to make a referral it will be paid for by your insurance, otherwise it is about 475 $$ here in california
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 7:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• oh, i also wanted to say that even after the 85% chance of downs that they gave me, my daughter was born healthy with no health issues. just because a child has downs doesn't mean they can't lead a normal life. my BIL is downs and you would never know if he didn't have the look.
    kyuteangl88

Answer by kyuteangl88 at 7:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• These tests have so many false positives and yours wasn't even positive. My son had a 60 % chance of having a genetic disorder and he has none. I know it's scary, but really many many people test higher.  Take care.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Even if your baby has downs (probably doesn't) from my experince they are some of the happiest most loving and lovable people. You baby is a blessing no matter what!
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 7:36 PM on Jul. 1, 2010