Child Discipline.

What discipline seems good for a 2 yr old..haveing a hard time with mine seems like nothing works ugh.

miranda0308

Asked by miranda0308 at 8:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Time Out, 2 minutes.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 8:08 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Well .. Nothing will work if you're not consistant, if you don't follow through, and don't stick to your guns. If you give in, if you give empty threats, or if you change the diciplin every other "crime", then they're not going to take you seriously. Toddlers are very crafty little creatures and know how to manipulate you to the very last shred of your sanity. Therefore, you have to stick to what you set out to do. Time outs work for my one year old. Yes, as they get older it does seem that punishments you used before aren't working as well. Remember though it is one minute for every year. That means two minutes in time out for your kid.

You could also put him on an award system. He gets no toys, no videos, no outside play, nothing if he doesn't behave that day. If he misbehaves then take away one toy. And so on. He'll soon realize he's bored and wants his stuff back. Which means he'll learn to behave.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:10 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• being consistant is key, even if that means putting him in timeout 10 times in a row.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 8:13 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Be consistant all the time!
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 8:37 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I agree with everyone else, but also remember to praise the good as well. I forget this myself all too often.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 9:04 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Time outs don't work. They don't stop bad behavior or teach good behavior. Yet people keep doing it. Makes no sense. Time outs do work for Moms that are ready to kill their LOs.

Try the book Love & Limits by Elizabeth Crary. She also has a website called start parenting that has some good info. This is a problem solving approach with responsibility for behavior placed on the parent.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:11 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Time outs don't work. They don't stop bad behavior or teach good behavior. >>>>>>>

Hmm they worked for me. If my child didn't listen to what I asked and or didn't share toys with her little friend on playdates ect... then she sat in time out for how many minutes to her age. Worked like a charm...

Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 8:08 AM on Jul. 2, 2010