Anyone else feel guilty?

I really want to stop bed-sharing with my daughter (7m) & I feel bad about this. She goes to sleep in her bed (which is right next to my bed) the first part of the night & then joins us in bed around midnight. We only have a full-sized bed & she takes up so much room! She's been kicking me in the stomach, elbowing me in the breast, rolling over on my nipple, I have to sleep really uncomfortably with her in bed, and I'm getting hardly any sleep. I feel bad, because I know it comforts her to be in our bed...it's just making me really frustrated at night!! Any advice on getting her comfortable in her bed for the whole night? I'm going crazy..

Wheepingchree

Asked by Wheepingchree at 8:27 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• just keep putting her back in her bed or else get a crib so she can't get out in the first place. if you can't get a crib, then just keep putting her back in her bed and be patient (don't get mad or frustrated even if you're up all night). she'll get it eventually
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:29 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I would just suggest positive reinforcement. Act like it's this really awesome thing that she is sleeping in her crib. Stay consistent with putting her back in her crib when she gets in your bed. This may even be a good time for you to move her crib to her room and encourage her to sleep in her room.
    ErinRenee815

Answer by ErinRenee815 at 8:31 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My son co-slept until he was 9 months, the first 2 days were rough.... he cried fopr about an hr but he is now a year old and goes straight to sleep in his crib and we all sleep better, just be patient and don't give in!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 8:32 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Don't give in even once, because they learn that it is possible that mom will give in. Don't feel guilty, you'll be more up to caring for her and for your house if you are rested enough.

Answer by Bmat at 8:40 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I never shared a bed with my baby, and I did not feel an ounce of guilt for it. I was more worried about rolling over on her in the middle of the night than if she was "deprived" of anything by not having that.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 8:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I know it's sad, but do it now. My daughter is THREE and I'm still being pushed off the bed! Best of luck.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 9:07 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I find that there is usually a cause for restlessness. Having to pee is one. Being too hot, being hungry thirsty, or even learning a new milestone. We have our crib sidecarred, we don't use it much except as a laptop holder lol, but it gives a lot more room.

http://www.freewebs.com/sidecarcrib/index.htm
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Why is she joining you in your bed? Is she waking and only calmed when she is in your bed? Try to just keep putting her back in her bed. It will take time, but she'll get used to it.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:07 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• It's normal for babies to be bed hogs. Rather than trying to change the baby you can try to change you. Accept that your baby is going to be a bed hog, you aren't going to be as comfortable as you would like, and make the best of it. Your baby won't be a baby forever.

I have a 21 mo grandson that I take care of every other day. My son and I trade off taking care of him so neither of us go crazy and can take good care him. My DIL has given up and works long hours and lets us care for him. He has a life-threatening genetic immune deficiency disease and many allergies. He is head to toe eczema. When he naps you have to hold him on your chest or lap & try to get him comfortable and not let him scratch. He slept on me 3 hours today. Great for him, not so great for me at 54 with arthritis & fibromyalgia. It's easier when you just accept it.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:17 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• There's a reason why I never made it a habit to co-sleep. I need my sleep too and I found that both of my kids got a better nights sleep in their own beds anyways.
    Kim3787

Answer by Kim3787 at 8:29 AM on Jul. 2, 2010