My 8 week old is consistently very fussy every evening. Does this continue for a long time or is there an end that I can count on?

shem817

Asked by shem817 at 8:43 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My guess is that the baby is tired, maybe even too tired to sleep. So all you can do is to soothe.

Answer by Bmat at 8:44 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• it could just end one day. it could go on for months. just keep your patience and try to make baby as comfortable as possible.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:45 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• if they're very fussy around the same time every evening i would say it's colic. my second kid had colic and it drove me nuts. from 6-9 screaming every night lol. he did grow out of it and sometimes gripe water helped. find it in the drug store with the gas meds. it also will take away hiccups and bad gas (even for adults lol).
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:45 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• He's probably just getting tired. I think all babies have that bewitching hour where they just get tired & crabby. All you can do is snuggle him & try to make him feel better. Make sure you try getting him to sleep at the first sign of him getting sleepy - rubbing eyes.. My 7 month old still does this..
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 8:46 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Since every baby is different, there are no guidelines! I can tell you what helped with the twins when they were fussy. I would keep the same routine every night with no extra stimuli after 6 pm. First, there was feeding. Then, they would have either a warm bath or a gentle rub down with a warm washcloth followed by a gentle massage. About thirty minutes before bedtime, I would give them the opprotunity to feed again (top off their tummies). Finally, I would put them in their room with the curtains closed. This really worked. They started sleeping through the night by 10 weeks old. I hope this helps. Try one or more of these. You never know with babies :)
    2Toddlers2Teens

Answer by 2Toddlers2Teens at 9:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• If your baby is fussy even after being fed, changed, or rocked, he/she may have gas. Try Milicon. When my dd was that young, she'd be extremely fussy, but when I'd give her some Milicon and rub her back, she'd let out the gas and fall asleep. When they're that little, you just have to use the process of elimination. After a while, you'll be able to know what your baby needs just by the type of cry, but that takes some time. This won't last forever, although I know it sure feels that way. I was in your shoes a little over a year ago, and when I see how fast my little baby is growing, I'd give anything to go back to those days. Take lots of pictures and cherish every day, because they go by faster than you realize lol. Congrats and good luck!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 9:04 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• i don't think we can really get used to anything our babies do, cuz as soon as u do, they change it up. babies get fussy for lots of reasons, maybe hunger, wanting to be held, being tired, having gas pains etc. relax and know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. soon enough you will have an active happy smiling kid to chase around
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 9:28 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My grandson was extra fussy until he could walk. Sometimes kids get fussy or irritable right before they hit a developmental milestone.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:07 AM on Jul. 2, 2010

• This sounds like colic. It lasts an average of three months.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:54 AM on Jul. 2, 2010