Child rubbing himself...

My ds is 7, and I have a newborn nephew. I kept him the other day and I realized the diaper I had layed out for after bathtime was gone. I didn't think anything of it, but when I walked by my ds's room on my way to the bathroom, I caught my son rubbing the diaper on his privates. It embarassed him that I caught him doing that, and I had a talk with him telling him that diapers are yucky. Babies potty in them and they get lots of germs in them. The next day, I caught him with another. What is going on with this??? I don't know where to go to talk to anyone about this!! HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:14 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'm thinking that he just realized that it "feels good" to rub things on himself and it's perfectly normal. Maybe not w/ diapers, but to him it feels good. Maybe tell him that if he is going to do that he should close his door. I'm sorry I'm not much help, my sons are both under four and haven't reached this yet, but I have a step daughter who is ten and going through puberty and everything.
    sprout.martin

Answer by sprout.martin at 9:20 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I guess you should talk to him about...or have your husband talk to him about it, and ask him what he was doing. Maybe you should ask his doctor how to handle this as well. I just don't know...
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:21 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• From all I 've heard, it's normal and he needs to know that. I would give him a few hand towels maybe and tell him to use those. Also explain that things like this are best done in private. And that you love him to pieces and if he has any questions, you, daddy or someone are there to answer any questions.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 2:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2010