Do you think this is crazy? Is it even allowed?

If you don't pick your child up by 3:15 everyday then the school will charge you $10. This is in the handbook for a private school in my area.

itsallabtthem84

Asked by itsallabtthem84 at 9:33 PM on Jul. 1, 2010 in

• Haha that's funny. I would assume their justification is "more contact hours" .... you pay for a certain number because it's a private school. Therefore, having your child longer makes them want more money for more time spent with your child.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 9:35 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I think it makes sense, that way they aren't liable after that time, they don't have to pay staff to stay longer, and school is not daycare.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:35 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Well, if school is already out then the kids need to be picked up. If not then someone has to watch them and that costs money....so yeah it's ok to me. It's also an incentive for parents to be responsible and get there on time, who wants to pay $10?
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:36 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• i dont think its crazy at all!! teachers are there to teach..not to babysit!! part of being a parent is being responsible. which means picking your child up on time, if you know you cant be there, arrange for someone else to get your child, dont just leave your child hangin, or the teachers for that matter. whether its allowed or not, i have no idea, i guess if theyre doing it, its got to be allowed tho!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 9:36 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• you should pay for aftercare if you're going to be extremely late. they shouldn't have to babysit your child for free.......
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:36 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• makes sense to me. They make afterschool programs that if you can't pick your child up, you can enroll your kid in (OK they used to have it, my mom had me in it when I was in school) Those you had to pay for.

I personally don't think teachers are paid enough to teach the kids all day long, then be expected to sit around after school waiting on parents to show up.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:36 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• if you had to stay late at your job, wouldn't you want compensation? teachers are just people working. so yes i think it is reasonable. my DCP has a very similar policy for late parents.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 9:43 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• eh... my girls go to a christian preschool. the manual says that if the parent is 5 minutes late, it is $5, then $1 every minute after that... i'm thinking the flat $10 is easier. lol.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 9:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I worked the before and after care program at an elementary school through the YMCA, and they had the same policy.
    scarlett0720

Answer by scarlett0720 at 9:56 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I am not saying that I will do this. I always have my children picked up on time. I was just wanting thoughts.
    itsallabtthem84

Comment by itsallabtthem84 (original poster) at 9:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2010